OK Need some help - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 PM

Default OK Need some help

Alright so I broke down and bought a LG BH-200 tonight. What firmware do I need to put on it and is there anything I can expect it to have issues with? Also, How is the upconversion on it? I am replacing a HD-A30 and a PS3 with this so it needs to do 1080p/24 and play whatever I throw at it. I don't care about botstreaming as I am outputing to TV speakers with this unit. I am just trying to make this as Wife friendly as possible
Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 PM

I got mine with a May build date and have not touched it. Works flawlessly.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:21 AM

I wish I could find one with a May build date!

ETA: I updated mine across the board and it's working well. The only downside is my copy of Clerks II on HD DVD doesn't play on it so I may have to double dip when that one's released on Blu-ray. Otherwise, if I had the money for it - I'd gladly buy a second rather than any stand alone Blu-Ray player on the market with a comparable price.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:10 AM

Agreed, the best I could find was March 08 but I would imagine there is no difference.

The newest firmware was released in June and cleans up a couple of quirks with this player.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:18 PM

Mine seemed to have issues with chapter skipping for UK HD DVDs, but I seem to be in the minority.

I agree though. It's great for the WAF factor. No more of this "If it has a blue case, play it in the PS3. No, you can't use the universal remote when playing titles in the PS3. If it has a red case, use the Toshiba. Yes, you can use the universal remote when playing movies with the red cases. Standard definition DVDs can be played in either unit, and the same remote control rules apply. It's simple, really. I'm not sure why you keep asking me this stuff."
Old 10-16-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMaustus View Post
Mine seemed to have issues with chapter skipping for UK HD DVDs, but I seem to be in the minority.

I agree though. It's great for the WAF factor. No more of this "If it has a blue case, play it in the PS3. No, you can't use the universal remote when playing titles in the PS3. If it has a red case, use the Toshiba. Yes, you can use the universal remote when playing movies with the red cases. Standard definition DVDs can be played in either unit, and the same remote control rules apply. It's simple, really. I'm not sure why you keep asking me this stuff."

hehe welcome to my world.. And I get the joys of make sure the HDMI switch is set to 1 for HD DVD, Set to 2 if you are using the PS3, Set to 3 if you are using the DVR (HTPC) because she bitched that I had too many cables running to the TV so now I have a HDMI cable and a power cable running to the TV.. But I have 1 more set of buttons I have to keep memorized for when she calls..

Mine has a march build date and I will update the firmware and see what problems I can get into as soon as the remote for it shows up.. My wife hates the harmony too so I am not even going to program it for it Was just easier to spend the $25 and order a remote (I bought it open box and it didn't have a remote)
Old 10-16-2008, 09:33 PM

Unlike we are used to with Toshiba you can go back to old driver/firmware with the LG. There are seperate updates for firmware and driver... I only played around with mine for a little bit before I stored it away for a back up.
Here is the minifaq at AVS.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1009104
Old 10-18-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
Unlike we are used to with Toshiba you can go back to old driver/firmware with the LG. There are seperate updates for firmware and driver... I only played around with mine for a little bit before I stored it away for a back up.
Here is the minifaq at AVS.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1009104
Great link, junglalien, thanks.