Onkyo DV-HD805 need feedback - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-04-2008, 09:38 PM

Default Onkyo DV-HD805 need feedback

I'm thinking of buying a factory sealed unit on Ebay for $399.00, is this player worth it? I already own numerous HD DVD players and my Toshiba A35 is one solid quality player! I just want another high quality player as another back up for my ever growing hhhhdvd collection. I plan to build my hhhhdvd film library to over 300+ titles, so I want to make sure I can play them for the rest of my life.

Any comments about the Onkyo player would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDBULL74 View Post
I'm thinking of buying a factory sealed unit on Ebay for $399.00, is this player worth it? I already own numerous HD DVD players and my Toshiba A35 is one solid quality player! I just want another high quality player as another back up for my ever growing hhhhdvd collection. I plan to build my hhhhdvd film library to over 300+ titles, so I want to make sure I can play them for the rest of my life.

Um, No.
Even if they say its factory sealed all it means is they removed the Refurbished and you will only have 1 year warranty instead of Two, probably 1 year from the day they bought it.

It is a good player, XA2 rebadge, but no xa2 controller. Although it Feels a little cheaper and there have been problems with the last batch Onkyo sold. It is hit and miss, we ordered 2 from onkyo, Our is off for repairs the one the in-laws got works like champ.

Not worth $399 imho. the $199 Onkyo sold them for was a fair price in my estimation.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the Onkyo, great dvd upconversion and HD DVD playback, but I think the price for this one is too much
Old 10-05-2008, 03:23 AM

If it's really brand new.......take it!
Old 10-05-2008, 03:36 AM

I wouldn't pay $400 for one. I have one and the upscaling isn't that big of deal over a A35. I'd look far an LG BH200 instead.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
I wouldn't pay $400 for one. I have one and the upscaling isn't that big of deal over a A35. I'd look far an LG BH200 instead.

I have both, the BH200 and DV-HD805, and I agree with that but I think if only HD DVD playback is wanted, the DV-HD805 would be a better choice. The DV-HD805 is worth $400 in my opinion, but the market for HD DVD players has gone down the toilet and there is no reason to pay that amount today.

I don't know whether or not the HD-XA2 and DV-HD805 will be available for a lower price in the future, it depends on whether or not the small group still using HD DVD decides to continue to do so or if that group decides to move on to Blu-ray use exclusively. I expect all things HD DVD to be practically worthless in a year or so and I am going to be stuck with a bunch of players I won't need and can't sell for near what I paid for them. One unknown for the future is whether or not these excellent players hold some value as DVD players. If the new Toshiba SRT process lives up to the hype, the Silicon Optix and Anchor Bay Technologies chip DVD players won't be worth much since something better will be inexpensive. If SRT turns out to be hype, then the DVD player value will be maintained. I don't know, but I do know I wouldn't pay $400 for any HD DVD player today, the BH200 would be the player I would pay the most for and I recently did buy one for $340.

Chris
Old 10-05-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:

If you really want one at that price, I have a new sealed one I would sell you delivered for that amount.

Chris
Old 10-05-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Not sure I would pay that much for one, but I consider the well under $200 I paid for mine my best purchase ever, for anything. I've owned both an A35 and XA2, among other HD DVD players, and I consider the 805 the very best. It's super fast loading for sd DVD, and a tad faster for HD DVD vs. XA2/A35. Mine has been my primary player since I got it and it's been rock solid. If you can justify the price, by all means go for it; I doubt if you will be disappointed.