Where does better upconversion really make a difference... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 PM

Default Where does better upconversion really make a difference...

A bit of background. Right now we just have a 1080i 30" CRT HDTV, so we don't really get much benefit from HD DVD over upconverted DVD. My wife and I negotiated earlier this year, and we have agreed to buy a new tv around the holidays. Based on this negotiation and current prices, I'm pretty much up to a a 42" or 46" tv, viewed at a 9' distance. This puts me solidly in the 720p range, with 1080p not really giving full benefits. There's no way for a bigger tv, and 46" could be pushing it when my wife really sees the size!!

So, I know the A3 is a nice upconverter, the A35 is better, and the XA2 is considered the king of HD DVD upconverters. How much of a difference would I REALLY notice on a 720p tv if I upgrade to an A35 or XA2? I have to believe most enthusiasts on here have much larger systems, but I'm not there, so does it really matter?

On ebay they're going for $100 / $200 on the bottom end, so it's not a huge expense, but since I've thrown in the $400 receiver, cabling, ceiling soundproofing, remote controlled lighting, it's hard to justify more money on a better player. UNLESS... she can watch Becoming Jane and Pride and Prejudice in the bedroom on the A3!! Oh yeah, and we have a kid... have to remember that added expense!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:05 AM

I would say not a ridiculous amount, but a little.
I probably wouldn't worry about the difference.
I have always had an A2, and have been happy enough.
I got the Oppo 983 recently, and it is better, but the main advantage involves PAL source material, and odd cadence material (like video based sources)
Old 10-01-2008, 08:15 AM

I can see a noticable difference between 720p and 1080p on a 46". However if you don't like messing with menus and changing settings constantly you might want to only do 720p with Toshiba HD DVD players. That is if you have alot of imports, 1080i discs and plan on upscaling SD DVDs. With SD DVDs it messing with the picture settings on XA2/DV-HD805 not changing resolutions. I guess it depends how OCD you are about having the best picture. Most people can probally just "set it and forget it". Even still don't plan on setting HD DVD player to 1080p/24 and just forgetting it with alot of discs.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:44 PM

I have a 50" 1366x768 plasma. I've owned an A2, A35 and an 805. On my setup, the A35 was a small but noticeable step up from the A2 both on SD and HD, then I got the 805 which again was a noticeable step up from the A35. The 805 is easily my favorite on my plasma. I knew SD would be better, since the 805 has Reon, but actually HD was quite an improvement also.

I say get the best player you can afford. A 46" 720p display may not the best available, but it is still enough to see differences in quality.