good deal on HD-DVD player? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-24-2008, 01:43 AM

Default good deal on HD-DVD player?

i got the x360 add on but i heard thats nothing compared to a true Hd-dvd player. i work at a FYE and we got a Toshiba HD-XA1 for 79.99... i can get it for round $50 with my employee discount. is it WORTH IT? cuz my Hd-DVD's playing on the 36 0are all low sounding. like my Tv is normally on 16-17 and its loud for a hd-dvd i put it up to 40+ to get same. and the voices in the movies are dimmer then they should be. would this player fix it?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminies View Post
i got the x360 add on but i heard thats nothing compared to a true Hd-dvd player. i work at a FYE and we got a Toshiba HD-XA1 for 79.99... i can get it for round $50 with my employee discount. is it WORTH IT? cuz my Hd-DVD's playing on the 36 0are all low sounding. like my Tv is normally on 16-17 and its loud for a hd-dvd i put it up to 40+ to get same. and the voices in the movies are dimmer then they should be. would this player fix it?
Is that a first gen player? Refurbished or new? Anyway's at $50 dollar's I say go for it. I have a third gen a-30 and love it. Blu-ray player's are just now starting to do what my machine can do. If you have a large collection of hd dvd's it's a no brainer. The standalone's are much better than the add-on. You can use that as your back up. That's what I'm doing.
By the way, do you still sell hd dvd movie's at FYE's at a reasonable price? I'm still picking up title's and right now I have to drive two hour's to go to Fry's to buy them. With gas being so high it is kind of tough.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillythePuppet07 View Post
Is that a first gen player? Refurbished or new? Anyway's at $50 dollar's I say go for it. I have a third gen a-30 and love it. Blu-ray player's are just now starting to do what my machine can do. If you have a large collection of hd dvd's it's a no brainer. The standalone's are much better than the add-on. You can use that as your back up. That's what I'm doing.
By the way, do you still sell hd dvd movie's at FYE's at a reasonable price? I'm still picking up title's and right now I have to drive two hour's to go to Fry's to buy them. With gas being so high it is kind of tough.
Not to thread jack, but why is a standalone better than the add on exactly? I asked this question in my thread but no one has stepped up to answer.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arinaldi View Post
Not to thread jack, but why is a standalone better than the add on exactly? I asked this question in my thread but no one has stepped up to answer.
Personally I preferred the stand alone because:
1) Quieter (more so than the 360 or PS3)
2) No pop-ups from Xbox Live each time one of my friends signed on/invited me to play/etc. (some might prefer this however)
3) Better DVD upscaling!
4) Better HD DVD playback - this is a personal one though. For some reason, my add-on would studder at certain points in both Top Gun and Friday Night Lights (even with the latest firmware), however every stand alone has no problem with these discs. Also, it felt to me that the stand alone's are less picky with finger prints, minor scratches on discs, etc. than the add-on.
5) Persistent storage for network features, my Xbox drive messed up with Knocked Up but the stand alone was just fine with these network features.
6) Power consumption, the stand alone uses less than the Xbox plus add-on I believe - maybe save some money in the long run?
7) LCD Readout on the unit (that can also be used to see the time remaining rather than time elapsed, which I like)
8) Lastly, I'm not sure about audio - but I've heard people prefer the audio from stand alones over the add-on.

Things I liked about the add-on though:
1) Quick/easy to update firmware (don't know if this will be a issue anymore though seeing as firmware is few and far between these days)
2) Faster to turn on, eject, play movie. Although not enough so for me to prefer it over a stand alone.
3) Backlit remote - although if you use a universal remote like a harmony or something this will be a moot point.
4) Easier to take over to other's houses who also have 360's to watch a HD DVD over there.

My opinions derived from using a HD-A3, HD-A30, and Xbox Add-on. There may be other benefits depending on what stand alone you're comparing to as well. Hope this helps though .

To the OP: I'd buy the HD-XA1 for $50 if it was in good working condition for sure!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Thank you for a well thought out explaination! I guess I will have to see about the audio for myself. I have just enough ports to hook up the 360 and a standalone HD player for now. So, more than likely I will keep both hooked up for awhile and see if I like one or the other better, but this helps alot as a "heads-up" as to what to look for. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winklepr View Post
Personally I preferred the stand alone because:
1) Quieter (more so than the 360 or PS3)
2) No pop-ups from Xbox Live each time one of my friends signed on/invited me to play/etc. (some might prefer this however)
3) Better DVD upscaling!
4) Better HD DVD playback - this is a personal one though. For some reason, my add-on would studder at certain points in both Top Gun and Friday Night Lights (even with the latest firmware), however every stand alone has no problem with these discs. Also, it felt to me that the stand alone's are less picky with finger prints, minor scratches on discs, etc. than the add-on.
5) Persistent storage for network features, my Xbox drive messed up with Knocked Up but the stand alone was just fine with these network features.
6) Power consumption, the stand alone uses less than the Xbox plus add-on I believe - maybe save some money in the long run?
7) LCD Readout on the unit (that can also be used to see the time remaining rather than time elapsed, which I like)
8) Lastly, I'm not sure about audio - but I've heard people prefer the audio from stand alones over the add-on.

Things I liked about the add-on though:
1) Quick/easy to update firmware (don't know if this will be a issue anymore though seeing as firmware is few and far between these days)
2) Faster to turn on, eject, play movie. Although not enough so for me to prefer it over a stand alone.
3) Backlit remote - although if you use a universal remote like a harmony or something this will be a moot point.
4) Easier to take over to other's houses who also have 360's to watch a HD DVD over there.

My opinions derived from using a HD-A3, HD-A30, and Xbox Add-on. There may be other benefits depending on what stand alone you're comparing to as well. Hope this helps though .

To the OP: I'd buy the HD-XA1 for $50 if it was in good working condition for sure!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:20 PM

thanx guys. yeah i will be picking it up. and yeah its Brand New in box...
Old 09-24-2008, 07:34 PM

I have had the XA1 for a long time with the old FW and this think has NEVER skipped a beat. Plays everything I throw at it and its built like a tank.

$50 is a steal.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:18 PM

Yeah... That's a steal. I would love to pick up one at that price.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 PM

I bought an XA1 off a fellow member a few months ago and it's a beautiful, rock solid piece of equipment. The 1/4" thick automatic aluminum door is killer.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arinaldi View Post
i bought a stand alone player for the noise alone. when i used my 360 add on the 360 was so frakin loud. i was lucky enough to get an a-30 off craigslist for $50.