Advice on which player to use - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-22-2008, 02:09 PM

Default Advice on which player to use

So, I will have 4 players soon. An A30, D3, XBOX add on and a HDDVD Rom drive. The TV only does 720p and I was thinking of storing the A30 and D3, relying on the add on as my default player once I pick up my 360. Are there any pros or cons about the add on as opposed the the stand alones, i.e. boot time, foreign play back issues etc.? It just seems at its face to be silly using up another HDMI slot if I can use the 360 for games and HD dvd, right? Let me know if I am missing anything and thank you in advance.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:00 AM

The Xbox360 add-on will limit your audio experience to standard Dolby Digital or DTS. The add-on does not support Dolby Digital Plus or TrueHD, so that is a pretty big down side.

On the other hand, if your current sound setup can only accept an optical audio connection anyway (ie. no HDMI audio), then it's a wash.

Another down side is that the Xbox360 console itself is stupidly loud with its fan noise. There's no way in hell I'd ever want to use it to watch DVDs or HD-DVDs since the fan noise is loud enough to be clearly audible at all but the loudest moments in a movie.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arinaldi View Post
So, I will have 4 players soon. An A30, D3, XBOX add on and a HDDVD Rom drive. The TV only does 720p and I was thinking of storing the A30 and D3, relying on the add on as my default player once I pick up my 360. Are there any pros or cons about the add on as opposed the the stand alones, i.e. boot time, foreign play back issues etc.? It just seems at its face to be silly using up another HDMI slot if I can use the 360 for games and HD dvd, right? Let me know if I am missing anything and thank you in advance.
I have to be honest. As much as I love to play game's on the 360 it is a god awful dvd player. The picture quality is amazing with the add-on but the noise is loud to the point of being unbearable. Although the load time's are much faster than the a-30 I have. I hung onto my add-on for a back up plus the fact I invested $199 dollars in it.ugh! If you have a 720p tv I would just try and pick up a hd a-2 or a-3. They are both fine player's.
I have noticed that the 360 is much quiter when watching download's then with a dvd or hd dvd. I wonder why that is?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:13 AM

My $.02 - pretty consistent with the others here - I have an A30 and A35. I use the A30 since my receiver does not handle hdmi connections. The A30 is terrific, and the new A35 awaits a newer receiver someday that handles newer codecs via hdmi.
In your case, I would put the D3 into everyday use. I believe the D3 is a Costco rebadged A3. It should serve your purposes just fine. You may want to determine what firmware version is in your player also, in case an update is worthwhile for you. Read up on the firmware versions before proceeding however. hhhhdvd