Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-22-2007, 05:38 PM

Smile Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive

I'm sorry if there is already a thread but I didn't see one. I have a XBOX 360 HD DVD drive that I have hooked up to my pc and use Powerdvd Ultra. I understand that there are updates via the XBOX 360 however my question is can you apply updates via a pc? BTW the Good Shepard doesn't play which apparently is an issue (as I see on the boards) that I hope an update will fix. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:29 PM

Microsoft only supports the HD DVD drive when connected to a 360, there is no official support for it when used on a PC. The *updates* are software patches for the Xbox console itself, not the drive.

Additionally, I would search around. It appears that the disc issues you are having is a defect with the disc itself, and you should be able to exchange it for a working disc (or try boiling it).

Last edited by implant; 04-22-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:25 PM

Smile Thanks for the reply

So the updates via Xbox 360 don't actually update the HD DVD firmware? I would imagine there would be some firmware updates at some point. Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccscomets18 View Post
So the updates via Xbox 360 don't actually update the HD DVD firmware? I would imagine there would be some firmware updates at some point. Thanks again.
Did you download the driver? Do you have a video card that will work with this drive? They typically are well over $200.

This site will tell you most of what you will need.

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/11/8303/
Old 04-24-2007, 12:18 PM

Smile Xbox add on

My pc setup is fine. I can watch all the movies that I have tried with the exception of The Good Shepard and Fearless. I understand there are issues with the Universal Combo discs. Miami Vice works fine. I was hoping that there are future updates (firmware) that eliminate any problems playing these discs. The Good Shepard seems to work fine on some HD DVD players but have a problem with the Xbox add on. To me, this seems to be more of the drive's fault that the disc itself. I certainly could be mistaken. I have ordered the HD-A2 so when it gets here, I will see. Thanks for your input.