Need Your Help & Opinions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-17-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Need Your Help & Opinions

Finishing up my home theater room and I am upgrading some of my older equipment but I have 1 hindering question I really can't answer for myself. My set up now is a sanyo z4 projector on a 120 inch screen, I am using a PS3 for blu-ray and an hd-a2 for my hd-dvd with a hdmi connection on both machines, now the z-4 is only a 720p projector that as far as I can tell upscales to 1080i only. I am thinking of upgrading to a 1080p projector and was wondering from those of you that know more than me, is this move to a 1080p projector is really going to be that much of a noticable improvement? I am sure that a projector no mater what the resolution is not as good as say a 1080p lcd tv. so if my info is correct in that department then even a 1080p projector won't give me the visuals as a 1080p tv will. Just wanted to know if anyone would see a move like this as a disapointment by not really improving my viewing all that much.

thanks everyone in advance
Jeff
Old 04-17-2007, 08:53 PM

Your decision really depends on how much of a videophile you are. My house has a 720p Panasonic projecting onto a 110" screen, and it still looks pretty damn good. But at that size you should be able to notice more of the finer detail of 1080 than you would on lets say a 42" TV, where the pixel density may make it a little challenging for the untrained eye to clearly discern 720p from 1080p.

If you have the money, by all means go 1080p, since having the best to start with won't lead to regret later. But if your short on funds and really aren't a video "elitist", 720p should be more than adequate for the time being.

Hope this helps!

FYI: a topic like this is more appropriate for the home theater forum, since Blu-ray people that don't check the HD DVD section might also be able to offer valuable advice on displays. You nor I can move it, but PM a mod and they'll be able to do that for you.

Last edited by Pat H; 04-17-2007 at 09:01 PM.