Barcode scanner and software to catalog HD DVDS - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-02-2008, 10:34 PM

Default Barcode scanner and software to catalog HD DVDS

I was just reading about this in another thread...

What software do you use?

Does this software show a picture of them in the HD DVD case?
http://www.invelos.com/dvdpro/Info.aspx

Will this scanner work with that software and Vista?
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Barcode-Read...6.c0.m14.l1308

I put it down here because I mostly want to know about good software that will show them in the HD DVD case. I didn't think I should ask in the blu-ray thread
Old 08-03-2008, 12:56 AM

those cat scanners are junk, dont work right. I had one but threw it in trash

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ascan-USB-CCD-Ha...6.c0.m14.l1318

This is a plug and play, no software needed...scans upcs
Old 08-03-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbbud View Post

have you used this one? I don't know how much I like the idea of ordering off ebay and having something shipped direct from China
Old 08-03-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbbud View Post

well this one says modified, plug and play....scans upcs
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Barcode-Read...6.c0.m14.l1308
Old 08-03-2008, 09:55 AM

Been down this road. I have the one like the one from China. Got it at the geeks for about $30 ish. Used it for importing UPC at work into spreadsheets. Now using it to catalog my HD collection. Now here is the catch. Its all about how the scanner is set up to record the UPC. I have to set it one way to read US disks and another for imports. Here are some examples using Underworld Evolution Spanish UPC #8-4200018426128 and Miami Vice US UPC #0-2519300322-5

Now in order to scan the UE bar code into ANY PROGRAM that you use the scanner must be set up to read a EAN 13 upc. I believe this is the case for all imports
For the US disks things get a little trickier. A scanner can be set up to import all 12 # or drop the first # if it is a 0 or drop the last # which is a check digit. Now depending on the program you are using one of these 3 ways will work. My scanner came with a book that you scan bar codes to reset up how it reads the UPC. I have over 25 years of computer experience and it still frustrates me on how to change it correctly. You need to have a bit of a programers mind set.

So its a great idea but be ready for some frustrations.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:09 AM

Go to http://www.collectorz.com/movie/

They offer the software to do the cataloging as well as the scanner(s) to do it with. I use the software (and have for about 5 years) but I haven't used one of their scanners. I personally just used a Point of Sale barcode scanner that I had laying around from a POS install job years ago (this thing must be 15 years old) but now I just add them all manually as I get them since it is simpler with their search and retrieve function. The software will pull automatically from Amazon (all of them even the foreign ones) , DVD Empire, IMDB, Send-It, DVD Shop, and even Adult DVD sites as well. Easy to export to a web page from (it is what I use for my HD/BD lists in my sig) and is super customizable if you understand XML/HTML. Well worth the money for the software (and you can try before you buy) IMO if you have a collection of any size. I use seperate databases for my HD DVD, BD, LD, and DVD (although you can put them all in one and use filters) and it handles them all like a champ
Old 08-03-2008, 11:28 AM

Ok update just figured out how to get my scanner to read both UPC EAN 13 and UPC-A
Scan Reset to default
Scan Start Config
Scan UPC-A Transmit Check Character <ON>
Scan UPC-A Truncate Leading Zero <ON>
Scan UPC-A Truncate Leading Digit <OFF>
Scan End Config

and Im off to the races

As to the programs I agree with Tormond's assessment of collectorz. My dad used it for years before his passing. (Swore by it) He got me a license but I have not activated it. The only quirk I found was the inability to add imput sources. But it covers 98% of the disks out there. As for DVD Profiler just downloaded it for a test spin.

For fun and giggles
I just did a search for Torchwood and Swiadek Koronny on both. Profiler did not hit on either but collertorz brought back Torchwood.
Dvdaf.com both not on the database
DVDspot.com torchwoood hit SK no go
So until tormond finishes updating collectorz database we will have to manually add titles.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satblaster View Post
Ok update just figured out how to get my scanner to read both UPC EAN 13 and UPC-A
Scan Reset to default
Scan Start Config
Scan UPC-A Transmit Check Character <ON>
Scan UPC-A Truncate Leading Zero <ON>
Scan UPC-A Truncate Leading Digit <OFF>
Scan End Config

and Im off to the races

As to the programs I agree with Tormond's assessment of collectorz. My dad used it for years before his passing. (Swore by it) He got me a license but I have not activated it. The only quirk I found was the inability to add imput sources. But it covers 98% of the disks out there. As for DVD Profiler just downloaded it for a test spin.

For fun and giggles
I just did a search for Torchwood and Swiadek Koronny on both. Profiler did not hit on either but collertorz brought back Torchwood.
Dvdaf.com both not on the database
DVDspot.com torchwoood hit SK no go
So until tormond finishes updating collectorz database we will have to manually add titles.
I already paid for Profiler before I read about collectorz...Ya I couldn't find the polish hoodwinked. They seem like very similar programs. I just put in Babysitters and it dispalyed it in a HD DVD case. I'm not sure if collectorz does if I remember right from lookin at T's sig. The scanner they sell for $35 to use with collectorz looks like it the same one I linked to on ebay for $16. Pianist import came up with the right cover art. Ima try something from Australia. When I input the UPC for Sea of Love it had 3 choices...One for Canada and one for Canada/Quebec. I just did the Oz HPOOTP and it had 2 choices...one was for australia

Last edited by junglalien; 08-03-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
I already paid for Profiler before I read about collectorz...Ya I couldn't find the polish hoodwinked. They seem like very similar programs. I just put in Babysitters and it dispalyed it in a HD DVD case. I'm not sure if collectorz does if I remember right from lookin at T's sig. The scanner they sell for $35 to use with collectorz looks like it the same one I linked to on ebay for $16. Pianist import came up with the right cover art. Ima try something from Australia. When I input the UPC for Sea of Love it had 3 choices...One for Canada and one for Canada/Quebec
I think either one will work. Its just getting used to one and using it. As to your choices mine just came back with one. UPC 025193281524
Old 08-03-2008, 12:57 PM

025193281524 has 3 choices
Sea of Love
Sea of Love (Canada)
Sea of Love (Canada(Quebec))

maybe its a feature u get for paying for it?