A-30 hd dvd Frame Advance? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-29-2008, 07:49 AM

Default A-30 hd dvd Frame Advance?

Had my player since January but just noticed something odd.

Is this not a feature of the player, or is the title restricting this function?

Been trying to freeze a few specific frames and have been thwarted as there is no apparent way to advance a frame at a time, or go back when you've gone too far. Which means I'm doing a lot of ff/rw trying to time the pause-button push right, and dang if that doesn't seem to suck, too (though slo-mo makes it easier, once you know where you're going). Basic DVD functionality here. How did this miss the jump to HD?

I know, of course, it's a little late to complain (and this feature works fine on my PS3 with bbblu titles so I guess I only need worry about it for the hhhhdvd half of my collection) ... but I'm hoping maybe I just missed something and this really does work ok.

Am I a dolt?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:20 PM

Default to play frame by frame

According to my HD-A30 manual, the button on the remote between "cursor" and "slow" is what you are looking for. See scan of manual page.
I'll test it out later if I think of it.
Now - what HD movie should we watch tonight . . . .

Update: "300" it is (would you believe it was packaged in our HD-A30 and we still haven't watched it yet since we saw the SD dvd?). The "frame by frame" button does not work here. However, I came across an asterisk in the manual saying this feature could be enabled or disabled by the disc . . so . . blame the movie studios maybe?

Another update: the "frame by frame" button works fine on a SD dvd, so the remote and player are not the problem. Either the firmware has it permanently disabled for some reason, or the hd-dvd titles being tried have declared it disabled.
hhhhdvd
Attached Thumbnails
A-30 hd dvd Frame Advance?-toshibahda30remote640.jpg  

Last edited by Rich86; 07-31-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:52 PM

Yeah, I noticed the button, but it wasn't functioning for me. Very perplexing. Thanks for the tid-bits from the manual!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 PM

Default it's the titles and settings by the movie studio . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLskydiver View Post
Yeah, I noticed the button, but it wasn't functioning for me. Very perplexing. Thanks for the tid-bits from the manual!
I just tried a hd-dvd from a small indie studio and the pause > frame by frame buttons work just fine. So I'm guessing the big studios declare the frame by frame capability to be disabled for some reason.
Be aware you must "pause" the title first before you are able to use the "frame by frame" button. hhhhdvd