cheap remote DV805 picture settings - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-19-2008, 10:19 PM

Default cheap remote DV805 picture settings

anyone figure out the cheapest remote you can buy online to get into the picture settings?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:40 PM

Great question!

I also have a DV-HD805 that awaits a remote with a "picture" button.

It seems odd that Onkyo would leave that button off the remote for a top of the line player.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:43 AM

The cheapest way if you already have a JP1 upgradeable remote control is to download the codes for the HD-XA2 from this site:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

UEI makes these remotes, sold as their own One For All brand and Radio Shack primarily.

Chris
Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
The cheapest way if you already have a JP1 upgradeable remote control is to download the codes for the HD-XA2 from this site:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

UEI makes these remotes, sold as their own One For All brand and Radio Shack primarily.

Chris
thanks but I don't understand all that... Has anyone tried this JP1 stuff?
Would it be too much to ask for detailed instructions and links to XA2 codes? A link to wear you can buy the remote from cheaply?
Old 07-20-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
thanks but I don't understand all that... Has anyone tried this JP1 stuff?
Would it be too much to ask for detailed instructions and links to XA2 codes? A link to wear you can buy the remote from cheaply?
The JP1 remotes are all over the place, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack and various online vendors. There are detailed instructions at the site I provided and once up to speed with JP1, the inexpensive remotes are very powerful. That site will have a list of the UEI made remotes that are JP1 capable. If you don't already have a JP1 remote, you may want to try to use what you have and not mess with JP1. Again, a very popular universal remote control brand are the One For All universal remotes and many are JP1 upgradeable. These same One For All remotes are learning remotes and can easily learn the codes, up to memory limitations which JP1 overcomes or UEI will upgrade the remotes, often by phone or by mailing the remote to UEI.

Chris
Old 07-20-2008, 05:30 PM

I didn't answer your question, but of course I use JP1 remotes exclusively to control my equipment, Blu-ray, HD DVD, displays, VCR's, etc. I have the codes saved on my computer and update when needed after changing equipment and download the new codes. The remotes control everything I have ever owned.

Chris
Old 07-20-2008, 09:50 PM

Chris,

Thank you very much for all of the helpful information. I'll definitely check out the link you provided.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
anyone figure out the cheapest remote you can buy online to get into the picture settings?
What I did was buy a couple of these X10 Universal learning remotes off ebay. It has a learning mode in which you point the 2 remotes at each other, press the button you want to "train" and then press & hold down the button you want to use on the XA2 remote until the uni remote blinks, indicating that it learned that function.

I mapped over the main XA2 playback controls & assigned the Picture button the the unique "ENT" button on the remote. I don't think I can post rates / prices here as it's not the trading forum, but I loan them out for a week for pretty much the cost of mailing to & from (I include a pre-printed mailing label back to me). And sold one to someone who wanted to keep it, again pretty much at cost.

I only have a couple of them, so PM if interested. :-#

Or if you have a learning remote or buy one yourself, you can send it to me to teach it my XA2 remote's Picture button. Just include a beer in the package.