MSSG in display - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-18-2008, 11:00 PM

Default MSSG in display

Hello all,

I have an A35 that I recently did a firmware update to 3.0 sent in the mail by Toshiba. The machine is working fine, except occasionally after the "Welcome" in the display upon turning the unit on, I see the letters "MSSG", only momentarily, and then the door will open to load a disc.
I am curious if the player is trying to tell me about something that needs to be addressed....It's working fine, but if I need to look into something before it's not working fine, I'd like to know ahead of time. I believe in if it's not broke don't fix it, but it might be trying to tell me something is broke.
Anyone who can shed some light on this...I would greatly appreciate the input. Thanks in advance.
Mark.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:54 PM

It might be part of the firmware update process.

See step 14 in the following link:

http://support.toshiba.ca/support/ce...?docid=D000012

1) Confirm that the player is connected to a television. Turn on the television and select the appropriate video input on the television to view the player. (I.e. Video 1, Video 2, HDMI etc…)
2) Turn the player on by pressing the “On / Standby” button” on the unit or with the remote control.
3) Open the player’s tray by momentarily pressing the “Open / Close” button on the front of the unit.
4) Place the firmware update disc on the tray and close the disc drawer. The player will indicate “Loading” as the firmware update disc is initially read.
5) The players front display will indicate “Ver Up” and the on-screen display will indicate “Do you want to update the version?”
6) If “Yes” is not already selected (Highlighted in yellow) select “Yes: by using the cursor left button on the remote control.
7) Press “OK” on the user remote.
8) If you receive a message “Error code : 2007c5c2” on the TV, this indicates you are using an incorrect firmware version. You should contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at 1-800-268-3404 to obtain the correct firmware version.
9) After approx 2 minutes the players front display will indicate the progress of the firmware update in steps. It will first indicate “STEP 1/5” then “STEP 2/5”, “STEP 3/5”, “STEP 4/5” and finally “STEP 5/5”.
10) The player will stay on “STEP 5/5” for an extended period of time. During the update process the ON/STANDBY Led will flash between red and blue indicating that the update is in progress.
11) The complete firmware update process will take approximately 30 minutes. DO NOT UNPLUG or POWER DOWN the Player during the update process or it may result in damage to the HD DVD Player. The disc tray will automatically open upon completion of the firmware update. The unit will shut off with the tray in the open position.
12) Remove the update disc from the tray.
13) Turn the player on by pressing the “On / Standby” button on the front of the unit. The disc tray will automatically close.
14) After the player has powered on the word “MSSG” will appear on the front player display and the connected TV will display “Updating starts, Do not turn off during the update although no dialogues or screens will appear. After the update is complete, the power will automatically turn off.” Press “OK” on the remote.
15) DO NOT UNPLUG or POWER DOWN the player during this update process or it may result in damage to the HD DVD Player.
16) Wait for the player to power down by itself. This may take approximately 10 minutes.
17) Power ON the player.
18) The firmware update is now complete.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:23 PM

Default Mssg

I appreciate you reply. The firmware upgrade was sucessful, and all steps were completed, and the player did turn off. It indicate in the menu that it is now 3.0/1.1, as it should. This MSSG in the display appears just before the door opens to load the disc. Everything , as I previously mentioned, seems to be fine, except for this. Very curious.

Thank you,
Mark