New Advertising is great news - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-14-2007, 12:35 PM

Default New Advertising is great news

HD-DVD and Toshiba are really trying to make some headway with their advertising.
Where I live, our local Radio morning show is heard by over 2 million people daily. It is the most listened to morning show in this state. And when a company really wants to make an impression they hire the on-air personalities to make live comercials during the show. Well, as of last week, they are now doing a 60 second spot for Toshiba and HD-DVD.
I was quite happy to hear it.
The fact that the on-air personality gets the item for free really doesn't matter. For some reason people seem to trust a voice that they are used to. A voice that they hear every day. And that is VERY good news for HD-DVD supporters.

I suppose I could have put this in the smackdown area, but to be honest, I didn't write it to make a fight. I wrote it to let the HD-DVD supportes know that Toshiba is NOT giving up.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy View Post
For some reason people seem to trust a voice that they are used to. A voice that they hear every day. And that is VERY good news for HD-DVD supporters.
Great News!! Truth in the post as well, this should help get some people off the fence.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy View Post
I suppose I could have put this in the smackdown area, but to be honest, I didn't write it to make a fight. I wrote it to let the HD-DVD supportes know that Toshiba is NOT giving up.
No, you made the right choice...the smack down forum corrups every discussion.

But this is great. I haven't seen/heard too much advertising where I am, but hopefully more will start popping up in the next few months.

Where do you live btw?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
No, you made the right choice...the smack down forum corrupts every discussion.
Yep, I get tired of the Smackdown forum real fast. What gets me is the vast majority of BD fans seem intent on seeing HD DVD die and just go away. I have only an HD DVD player, really have no interest in getting a BD player, but I don't care if Blu-ray is still around 20 years from now, as long as there's still HD DVD content.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a short commercial for Smokin' Aces the other night on TNT HD. The trailer was in HD, followed by "available Tuesday on DVD and HD DVD".
Old 04-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Formerly Acerone

My supplier told me the other day that the smaller independent video stores are on the fence and also and some of the larger retailers. They have this wait and see attitude. He also told me they expected more dealers would start ordering the HD DVD's and Blu-ray disc by now but that didn't' happen. And one other thing he said, most of the newer online start up business like myself, Glen, Movie Mind and a few others are located on the east-coast, it hasn't kicked in on the west coast just yet.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acerone View Post
My supplier told me the other day that the smaller independent video stores are on the fence and also and some of the larger retailers. They have this wait and see attitude. He also told me they expected more dealers would start ordering the HD DVD's and Blu-ray disc by now but that didn't' happen. And one other thing he said, most of the newer online start up business like myself, Glen, Movie Mind and a few others are located on the east-coast, it hasn't kicked in on the west coast just yet.
Well we are only One Year old and growing.I agree with Cochise's comments a lot of BD Fanboys want to see us Die off Quickly, thats not going to happen. Customer awareness is what we need.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:44 PM

yea i know this is old but i saw a hd dvd add on ad in xbox live for about a week and here n there from time to time...xbox live has 4 million people (i think)...im seeing weekly ads in CC and iv seen a full page ad in the nations largest read newspaper USA Today
Old 04-16-2007, 06:58 PM

I Live in Minnesota. The radio station I refer to is nationally recognized as having one of the top morning shows in the country.

Speaking of advertising, I was impressed this week to see CC's ad. A couple pages after advertising the $999 Blu-ray Player, they boldly displayed the $399 HD-DVD player with 4 free movies instantly with purchase.
In my opinion advertising is KEY right now. Get the word out, and people will know what they want when they decide to spend some money. And as I said, I think a lot of people trust their favorite radio personalities.

As far as the Smackdown area goes. Everytime I read something there, I feel like I'm a child again, and the Blu-ray fanboys are trying to tell me there is no Santa Clause. HD-DVD is NOT dead, and Does exist, despite the Blu-ray fanboys saying in almost every smackdown forum that "The writing is on the wall". That is why I rarely respond to and/or post anytying in smackdown. I did not join my Debate team in High-School. And I do NOT have to Defend my reasons for enjoying HD-DVD. I Joined this forum to keep up on new information and to give new information to people when I get some.