Samsung Universal player all but official - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-12-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Samsung Universal player all but official

Korean Newswire on Samsung Universal player

Quote:
Seoul, Apr 13 (Korea Newswire)-- Samsung Electronics Co., LTD., a leader in consumer electronics and digital media technologies, and the first company to introduce a Blu-ray disc player will introduce a dual format High-Definition (HD) optical disc player in time for the holidays.

Samsung’s Duo HD player (BD-UP5000) will fully support both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc formats and their interactive technologies, HDi and BD-Java. With the Duo HD consumers can enjoy additional studio content such as trailers, director’s comments, more elaborate interactive menus and behind the scene footage. The new Duo HD joins Samsung’s next generation DVD line-up which includes Samsung’s second generation Blu-ray player available at retail this month. Together, these two models offer the consumer a strong line of High-Definition players to match Samsung’s award winning, and best selling, line of HDTVs.

"We welcome Samsung's Duo HD player as another solution in the marketplace that will help reduce consumer confusion and buyer hesitancy towards HD media," said Ron Sanders, President of Warner Home Video. "This is an innovative product that can move us closer to mainstream consumer adoption of HD technologies."

“We are very pleased to announce the upcoming release of our Duo HD player. Consumers are hungry for more HD content but are currently confused about competing formats. Samsung’s Duo HD player will allow consumers access to every HD movie title available regardless of the authoring format. Samsung is committed to making life simpler through technology and will market next generation DVD products which will satisfy the consumer and market requirement. This is a big win for the consumer.

As a member of the DVD Forum and contributor to the DVD Industry, we recognize that both HD-DVD and BD formats have merits. As such, we have decided to market a dual format player. Samsung is flexible to market a stand-alone HD-DVD player whenever consumers demand it. Our main concern is not technology but consumer choice” said Dongsoo Jun, Executive Vice President of the Digital AV Division at Samsung Electronics.
Nice...quotes from Warner. Bring it on.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:35 PM

This is great news! I especially like that they are not eliminating the possibility of an HD DVD-only player in the future. I just hope we don't have to take out a mortgage to buy this thing.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:35 PM

I think the guy from Value Electronics (sorry, forgot his name now) mentioned on the avsforum that his sources had confirmed the Samsung dual format player. I think (might be off on this) that he mentioned a probable July release time frame and a price point around 1K. Even if the MSRP is indeed a grand, that actually still undercuts the less featured LG unit.

Still too pricey for me and I'm far too happy with HD DVD to need to worry about format neutrality yet, but nice to see this nonetheless.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:44 PM

Yes...I'll let the more well heeled blokes buy this first generation but when I decide to go neutral I'll jump up to a Univeral player and by that time it'll be likely $599.

Welcome aboard Samsung. I think you'll do well with this product. I'm sure it'll be available for $899 in plenty of places.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:44 PM

Was just posted on Engadget as well...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/12/s...player-on-the/
Old 04-13-2007, 04:02 AM

Horses mouth

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/P...413_0000338109
Old 04-13-2007, 09:57 AM

I think this is pretty big for HD DVD, especially since it fully supports HDi. HD DVD needed another big name. I can't wait to see what this player has to offer.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
Yes...I'll let the more well heeled blokes buy this first generation but when I decide to go neutral I'll jump up to a Univeral player and by that time it'll be likely $599.

Welcome aboard Samsung. I think you'll do well with this product. I'm sure it'll be available for $899 in plenty of places.
Yepp, 600 player, made by OPPO & also supports SACD & DVD-A gets me in too
Old 04-13-2007, 10:52 AM

What are the possibilities that we see this player show up around $599 for a first gen player? If I were Samsung, I would sacrifice 1080p capability and maybe HDMI 1.3 in order to hit that price point. I would plunk down that much ina heartbeat for a dual player.

Even if Samsung produces a dumbed down player, they could always have the option of producing the high end $999 player that has all the features they would have to throw out in order to meet their target price point.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:55 AM

Looks like Kenwood and Hitachi are the next in line for a HD DVD standalone according to a Rumor posted on AVS. As for the Sammy Wasn't it mentioned before that the BD-UP5000 MSRP for 10% more than the BD-P1200 which is $599 MSRP?