Problems with my HD-A2 and Monoprice HDMI switcher... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-12-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Problems with my HD-A2 and Monoprice HDMI switcher...

I'll make this short and brief. I have a Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switcher which I've had for a few month's now. I have my Computer/Satellite/DVD player all connected via HDMI through the switcher and have not had any problems and has worked like a charm. No degradation of the image quality what so ever. Switch's between sources without any issues.

I purchased the Toshiba HD-A2 af few weeks back but because I was short 1 HDMI cable, I would just connect the Toshiba directly to the Television, then when I wanted to watch my Satellite, I'd disconnect the HDMI cable from the Toshiba and connect it to my Satellite receiver.

Well, I ordered another HDMI cable from Monoprice and it arrived today. I plugged it into the 5x1 switcher and all was well... for about 2 minutes.

After 2 minutes of playing a disc, the screen goes blank but the movies keeps playing (audio plays fine). If I forward or go back a chapter, the image re-appears.... for about 2 minutes then goes blank again.

I'm really disappointed and can't figure out the problem. The Monoprice switcher is HDCP compatible as is my Television and all other hardware. The length of the HDMI cable I bought is 6ft, like every other HDMI cable I'm running.

What is the problem here?

My Sony TV only has 1 HDMI input which is why I bought the switcher after reading how well it worked.

Any ideas?

I'd hate to think I'd have to get up and switch plugs around every time I wanted to watch HD-DVD.

Has anybody else had this problem?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 PM

have you tried switching your cables around. Maybe that one cable you bought happened to be a bad cable?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear89103 View Post
have you tried switching your cables around. Maybe that one cable you bought happened to be a bad cable?
Give me a few minutes. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear89103 View Post
If that doesn't work, try it without the switch again. Could be a bad hdmi switch.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Well, I switched the HDMI cable and used another but had the same problem. No image after 2 minutes or so. Then I connected the Toshiba directly to the television with the new HDMI switch. No problems.

That ruled out the possibility of new cable being the cause of the problem. It had to be the switcher itself but I found it strange that I haven't experienced this problem with any of my other HDMI connected hardware through the Monoprice.

I decided to try and switch connections to see if anything happened. Originally, the Toshiba was plugged into input #1 on the switcher. No deal. Switched it to the #2. Same problem. Number 3? Ditto.

Plugged it into input #4 and strangely enough, the problem stopped. Been on for about 20-25 minutes and the picture's perfect. No cut-outs at all. Never bothered to check input #5......

Anyways, I'm a happy camper once again.

Thing I can't figure out is, what's the reason for this? Why does it only work on 1 of the inputs and not the others? What makes input #4 any different than the other 4 available?

Thanks for all those who responded to this thread. I appreciate it.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe6pack View Post
Thing I can't figure out is, what's the reason for this? Why does it only work on 1 of the inputs and not the others? What makes input #4 any different than the other 4 available?
Maybe the wiring in the switch. When you get time, you should check out the other devices on 1-3 and see if there is the same problem. If there is, I'd switch it before the time limit, because you never know how many hdmi devices you'll have in the future.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:34 PM

Tried hooking up my Computer through it's DVI/HDMI cable to the Monoprice through inputs 1-5. Not a problem with any of them. Tried the same with my HD Satellite and up-converting DVD player and no problems either.

Seems it's just with the Toshiba HD-A2.

I'm wondering if the problem really is with the switcher considering every other device works without issue using the same inputs. It appears that the HD-A2 is only compatible with the #4 input on the Monoprice switcher.

Hmmm. Strange.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:44 PM

I've noticed sometimes depending on the order the device is turned on (i.e. player first then TV or vice versa) can sometimes create a handshake issue.

Doesn't happen all the time, but I've seen it happen and the times I did have it happen shutting the TV off and then on again fixed it. Like I said, doesn't happen often, but it has happened. I've also had this same problem with my HD DVR.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I've noticed sometimes depending on the order the device is turned on (i.e. player first then TV or vice versa) can sometimes create a handshake issue.

Doesn't happen all the time, but I've seen it happen and the times I did have it happen shutting the TV off and then on again fixed it. Like I said, doesn't happen often, but it has happened. I've also had this same problem with my HD DVR.
This is a HUGE issue when using DVI - HDMI cables... but I haven't heard a lot about HDMI - HDMI... but then again, this is the first 'user report' I've read from someone who is using the monoprice switcher with an A2.

Another thing... are you running the latest firmware? When did 1.5 become available? I swear that this is one of the issues they fixed (handshake issues). Could be wrong... but worth a shot.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:57 PM

I believe that 1.5 was released today...April 12...as I looked on Toshibas site yesterday and swear I saw 1.3 Am I correct in that it went from 1.3 to 1.5 ? No 1.4 at all ????