Onkyo DV-HD805 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 PM

Default Onkyo DV-HD805

Just making a thread where we can discuss the Onkyo DV-HD805
here is a link to the manual. It saved as a .cfm. I opened it with Adobe and it worked fine.

http://www.us.onkyo.com/download/own...ls.cfm?cat=DVD

So is 2.7 the latest firmware? Is it the best or does it have some jaggies issues like the Toshibas?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the link for the PDF manual.

No, the current FW is 2.8

http://www.onkyousa.com/DV-HD805firmware_info.cfm

As these are factory refurbished units, I would expect them to have the latest FW; if not you can update through the player with internet connection, or request a CD from Onkyo - no file to download & burn yourself. As I use 1080i output, I don't know or am concerned if it has the AVC jaggie issues at 1080p/24 output.

One known "issue" with the 805 vs. XA2 is that the Onkyo remote is similar to the A3/A30/A35 remotes. The XA2 remote is a very nice black brushed aluminum remote with back lighting. But more importantly, it has a "Picture" button that allows access to the Reon processor "fine tuning" of the video output for Brightness, Contrast and Edge Enhancement for both HD & SD playback, and Noise Reduction for SD playback. These adjustment make a big improvement for my display. The only apparent work around is to use a Harmony remote programmed for the Toshiba XA2; other universal remotes may work as well.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 PM

From what I've read, the 2.8 for the 805 has the same issues as with the XA2. I hope I'm wrong though.

:crossing fingers that mine comes with 2.6:
Old 07-07-2008, 03:04 PM

speaking of the "Picture" and Reon processor "fine tuning",
is there a write up on what all of those terms mean and what is the best way to fine tune?
Old 07-07-2008, 03:05 PM

I'm not familiar with the XA2 "shutdown bug" but I'm guessing these will also be susceptible to it? Does the newest firmnware fix the shutdown bug? I can live with some jaggies if it will save me returning this thing to get repaired.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
speaking of the "Picture" and Reon processor "fine tuning",
is there a write up on what all of those terms mean and what is the best way to fine tune?
This was posted on the AVSForum some time ago; I didn't save the link but copied the post into Notepad for future use. These "fine tunings" work very well for my display:

Quote:
This may give you a bit of a starting point.

Using the "Picture" button on the remote (top left, 3rd button down) a box comes up on the screen during playback. You have 3 settings that can be customized.

I used various setup discs to calibrate and found that turning contrast down to -4 outputted a contrast level that provides the greates detail without being overlybright and washing out detail. If you leave it at "0" then turning contrast down on the monitor will not restore the lost detail. You can turn it up at the monitor a couple of notches to restore brightness without losing detail.

Set brightness to 0 or no more than +1.

Edge Enhancement if turned on affects BOTH HD and SD playback.
The +2 setting makes an amazing difference on SD playback bringing out more sharpness and detail but on certain discs seems to add some graininess. Movies that have an extra clean transfer can look remarkable at the +2 setting, otherwise +1 is a good compromise, providing more detail but without adding grain.
On HD playback it also gives the picture more detail but also adds some grain. I've begun using the +1 setting as a default where some extra sharpness and detail are added but without adding graininess.

Noise Reduction (If turned on ONLY works on SD playback):
1) Mosquito NR - Use it. It removes the pinpoint fuzziness in SD picture giving a real smoothness to the picture.
2) Block NR - Smooths out the blocky looking artifacts from compression BUT can create an odd looking shifting artifact (hard to describe) on smaller objects in the picture. Once noticed, I found it to be quite annoying so I leave this one off.
3) Random NR) Clears up random noise they say. I leave it on and don't notice a difference one way or another.

Since there are 3 settings you can customize you can set them differently for different circumstances and easily cycle through them to pick the best one for the current situation. This player is really amazing.
This a screen shot of the Picture settings from the XA2 Owner's Manual -

You bring up the Picture Mode menu pressing the Picture button on the remote once. Then to enter settings, use the right > toggle button. You can enter 3 different sets of settings. In #1, I have them exactly as described int he post. In #2, I have Edge Enhancement set down to only +1 for DVDs that look too grainy with it set to +2. In number 3, I left everything on default. With all your settings entered, you press the Picture button and then the down v toggle to cycle between settings 1,2 & 3. I leave mine on #1 99% of the time.

Last edited by Cochise; 07-08-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:12 PM

I was just checking out that owners manual and I find it interesting that the display and the remote are identical to my Toshiba HD-A2. Are Onkyo and Toshiba related in some way?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSquared View Post
I was just checking out that owners manual and I find it interesting that the display and the remote are identical to my Toshiba HD-A2. Are Onkyo and Toshiba related in some way?
Toshiba made the 805, Onkyo rebadged it.

Thank you Cochise Guy, I'll remember those setting when I get my 805.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post
Toshiba made the 805, Onkyo rebadged it.
The firmware is not interchangeable and you risk bricking your 805 if you try to put XA2 firmware on it. It costs $100 to repair a bad flash as one of The Bomb Shelter members unfortunately found out first hand.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfelon View Post
The firmware is not interchangeable and you risk bricking your 805 if you try to put XA2 firmware on it. It costs $100 to repair a bad flash as one of The Bomb Shelter members unfortunately found out first hand.
Good to know. I was not stating it was an XA2 rebadge, just that it is made by Toshiba. That is still very usefull info.