HD-A30 Upconverting Help.... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 PM

Default HD-A30 Upconverting Help....

I just picked up a used A30 for for 50 dollars and I can't figure out why it was doing upconverting fine (w/HDMI) for the past two days. Now today it's suddenly only allowing 480p (I get the High-Def is blocked on this DVD message) on ANY DVD movie regardless of how old the disc is.

Anyone got any answers?
Old 07-06-2008, 04:34 AM

Will that display accept true HD over HDMI still? There is no valid reason what you describe should happen, so something is wrong with your settings or something is broken. You don't also have component connected do you?

Chris
Old 07-06-2008, 05:17 AM

Yeah maybe your settings went back into default 'auto resolution' setting or something if you unplugged the thing accidentally or whatever.
You might have to go in and change it.
I know there are some discs though that will not allow upconversion .
Old 07-06-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
Yeah maybe your settings went back into default 'auto resolution' setting or something if you unplugged the thing accidentally or whatever.
You might have to go in and change it.
I know there are some discs though that will not allow upconversion .
I can't think of any way there could be any DVD that can't be upconverted using the HDMI connection, assuming the settings are correct and the HDMI input functions properly.

Chris
Old 07-06-2008, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
I can't think of any way there could be any DVD that can't be upconverted using the HDMI connection, assuming the settings are correct and the HDMI input functions properly.

Chris

Possibly i was using component at that time then . I can't remember.All my equipment has changed since then.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
Possibly i was using component at that time then . I can't remember.All my equipment has changed since then.
Likely, a stock HD-A30 won't upscale protected DVD's over component, which of course is most commercially released DVD's. I don't know if there is any hack or modification that would allow the HD-A30 to upscale protected DVD's over component, but that possibility exists for some players. Has there ever been anything sillier than allowing true HD over component connections, all HD DVD's permit this, while not allowing faux HD over component?

Chris
Old 07-06-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Likely, a stock HD-A30 won't upscale protected DVD's over component, which of course is most commercially released DVD's. I don't know if there is any hack or modification that would allow the HD-A30 to upscale protected DVD's over component, but that possibility exists for some players. Has there ever been anything sillier than allowing true HD over component connections, all HD DVD's permit this, while not allowing faux HD over component?

Chris
If you burn a copy of the DVD you can then play it in 1080i over component.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfocussvt View Post
If you burn a copy of the DVD you can then play it in 1080i over component.
That is a solution, but I would just buy a player that upscales over component or watch DVD's over component without upscaling if there is no way to modify the HD-A30 to upscale over component.

Chris
Old 07-06-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Will that display accept true HD over HDMI still? There is no valid reason what you describe should happen, so something is wrong with your settings or something is broken. You don't also have component connected do you?

Chris
Nope, just HDMI and I'm using a Samsung A650 and the settings on the A30's video output are 1080p / 24FPS.

(I bought this for my regular DVDs so my PS3 wouldn't be used so much.)
Old 07-06-2008, 11:43 AM

Which device in your system is issuing the message?
Is it the TV refusing to display the signal? The receiver refusing to process?
Is everything connected and set the same as when it worked ok?
hhhhdvd