Toshiba HDA2 Help - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Toshiba HDA2 Help

Just got the Toshiba HD-A2 off amazon for $330 including the HDMI cable. Questions:

1.Has anyone attempted the firmware update over the Ethernet connection? I'm guessing since this player was built recently it should have the newest version of the firmware and not require updating.

2. How do you upconvert the DVD's to 720p/1080i? Am I missing a setting? I put in a regular DVD and it was 4:3 and not upconverted.

Thanks,

Justin
Edit/Delete Message
Old 04-10-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1567 View Post
1.Has anyone attempted the firmware update over the Ethernet connection? I'm guessing since this player was built recently it should have the newest version of the firmware and not require updating.

2. How do you upconvert the DVD's to 720p/1080i? Am I missing a setting? I put in a regular DVD and it was 4:3 and not upconverted.
1. You might need to head over to the AVS forum and grab the updates. They will walk you through putting them on the cd and so forth. It will need the updates if bought new.

2. You should have the settings set up for you resolution. It will upconvert to that, but if it's a fullscreen (4:3) dvd it will play it on fullscreen, and not stretch it.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:45 AM

If I were you, I'd call Toshiba and request the CD. I did. It's fast and easy. It should upconvert automatically through your HDMI connection.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:01 PM

FYI...I just got off the phone with Toshiba to request the latest ( 1.3 ) firmware update cd. They said they are out of stock and it should be about 3 weeks until they get more. In fact, I just recieved my HD-A2 today and I won't be able to get to play with it until the weekend. Also, got it from ***call for $324.99 TOTAL including shipping and no tax. Was supposed to be 3 day shipping, came in two days GREAT job ***call and Fedex. Recieved less than 48 hours after I placed the order.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:08 PM

Update from my last post from yesterday.
I opened my A2 today and it was made in Dec. '06. Since it most likely has 1.1 on it, and there was no way I'm going to wait 3 + weeks for the update cd from Toshiba. I configured the dvd player from the instructions in the owners book, very easy by the way. It took about 28 minutes to update to 1.5 remember, I was most likely at 1.1 , so if you have 1.3, going to 1.5 should not take very long at all.

NOTE...after the A2 upgrade was complete, the player just shuts off. Nothing about " update completed " or anything. I called Toshiba just incase, but the tech said " after the update, it turns itself off" I did check and it did say 1.5, so I should be all set. I can't hook up to my tv until saturday
Old 04-12-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari Fan View Post
NOTE...after the A2 upgrade was complete, the player just shuts off. Nothing about " update completed " or anything. I called Toshiba just incase, but the tech said " after the update, it turns itself off" I did check and it did say 1.5, so I should be all set. I can't hook up to my tv until saturday
That is true. After the update is done, it does shut down. I did the CD. One it was done, the tray came open and it shut itself down. Like any computer update, it has to reboot.