Considering X-A2, Need Help! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-09-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Considering X-A2, Need Help!

I recently purchased an add-on for my 360, (I had an A-1 that was junked out by BB) and I have really enjoyed it. However, I miss my DTHD tracks, and I am considering a X-A2 now that they are down to $600 on Amazon.

I have heard about video stutter and other issues, but what I want to know is this: after considering all of its perks and performance kinks,

is the X-A2 worth upgrading to, even if I have the add-on?

p_-
Old 04-09-2007, 04:24 PM

I only have the add-on as well. I know the audio quality isn't as good with the Xbox Add-on but I'm more interested in picture quality.

I will probably pick up a stand-alone in another year when prices come down to the $200 range.

If audio means a lot to you and you have the money to spend go for it.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:27 PM

I upgraded from the 360 add-on to the XA2 a little over a month ago. I totally love the XA2 and don't regret the expense. The upconversion is fantastic and in the 6 weeks I've had it, I have not experienced any problems whatsoever. I think the initial boot of the 360 is a few seconds faster but once it's on, the XA2 loads DVD's in less than 15 seconds and HD DVD's in about 30 seconds. I highly recommend this player to you and anyone. I do not expect we will see a better HD DVD player this player generation. The next HD-DVD generation should come out next year but is hard to imagine much improvement over the XA2.

Note: Copied and pasted my answer to the other guy.

Last edited by Count Westwest; 04-09-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 PM

A friend of mine just got one too. He loaded the latest firmware update and it runs beautifully. Fast, with few, if any glitches. Standard DVD's look darn good too.

I just bought a power conditioner ($1k - man is it worth it), so I'm a little tapped right now. But this is definitely on my list of wants.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:43 PM

does the X-A2 have problems with the latest combo discs like the add-on consistently seems to have?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBHTGuy View Post
does the X-A2 have problems with the latest combo discs like the add-on consistently seems to have?
Recently got my XA-2. Great upgrade from the 360 add on, as the 1080p looks quite natural as compared with the 1080p through the VGA on the XBox, which tended to look a little dark and gave the title screen on Apollo 13 a slight shimmer around the writing when I played it.

In answer to your question, Children of Men looks a lot better on the XA-2 to me...when it works. A lot are still having trouble with that and The Good Shepard. Luckily for most, the latter is a terribly boring and overhyped movie (so no big loss). Cheapest I've seen is Valueelectronics.com They were selling XA-2's with a free HDMI cable for $599.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:35 PM

Oh, and a question for you. Was looking into a new Denon receiver to replace my old AVR 3300. Saw the 2807 was getting rave reviews...how do you like it?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBHTGuy View Post
The only combo disc I have right now is "The Departed" and it plays flawlessly. Good movie BTW.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:57 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesmos View Post
Oh, and a question for you. Was looking into a new Denon receiver to replace my old AVR 3300. Saw the 2807 was getting rave reviews...how do you like it?
i listened to a lot of receivers before settling on the 2807. that being said, i absolutely love it. for me, it was close between the Denon and the comprable (at the time) Pioneer Elite. i chose the Denon, and i have never looked back. it gives me 1080p switching, and the audio is tight and clean. if you like the way a Denon sounds, i give it my highest possible thumbs up.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:59 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesmos View Post
Recently got my XA-2. Great upgrade from the 360 add on, as the 1080p looks quite natural as compared with the 1080p through the VGA on the XBox, which tended to look a little dark and gave the title screen on Apollo 13 a slight shimmer around the writing when I played it.

In answer to your question, Children of Men looks a lot better on the XA-2 to me...when it works. A lot are still having trouble with that and The Good Shepard. Luckily for most, the latter is a terribly boring and overhyped movie (so no big loss). Cheapest I've seen is Valueelectronics.com They were selling XA-2's with a free HDMI cable for $599.
that is a little upsetting to me. i tried watching hollywoodland last night, and like children of men, i could not get through it on the add on. i was hoping the X-A2 would solve those problems for me. Hmm.....certainly sounds like a disc authoring issue when it comes to those combo discs.