I want to buy a HD-DVD Player - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-09-2007, 02:33 PM

Default I want to buy a HD-DVD Player

Hi
I have an Xbox360 with HD-dvd.
The addon has done its job and convinced me to invest in a player.
I'm from EU and see that the XE1 is the best player at the moment.
It seems to be a first rate HD-dvd player.
Can some of you confirm that it is a good DVD upscaler?
Also, is this a good buy or are there new, better players coming out by the summer.
I don't mind waiting abit, but the xbox noise is annoying!

Many thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 04:56 PM

I believe the XE1's counterpart over here in the U.S. is the XA2 and as far as the upscaling goes, this very site will give you all the info you need, here are some excerpts from the XA2 review found here:

Quote:
The older HD-A1 was highly regarded for its DVD upscaling ability, at least when it came to film-based movie content. It produced a sharp, stable image on par with dedicated upscaling players of much higher price points. The unit's weakness was in the deinterlacing of video-based or mixed-source content, for which it failed most complex deinterlacing tests with combing errors and jaggies. The HD-XA2 rectifies this problem with the addition of a Silicon Optix Reon-VX chip, one of the better deinterlacing products on the market today (and only found in the HD-XA2, not the HD-A2).
Quote:
In other words, the HD-XA2 combines the quality upscaling of previous HD DVD players with top notch deinterlacing as well. It is the first HD DVD player I feel comfortable saying could fully replace even a high-end dedicated DVD player, so long as multi-region playback isn't a necessity.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:11 PM

yeah i'm in the same boat as you. i have the 360 add-on and it just makes the most sense to spend money on an add-on. i'd like to get the xa2 b/c of the 1080p that would work with the tv i have. it would also help lessen the worry that i have with messing up the 360 and the dreaded ring of light that i've encountered before. but i feel that the money that i spend towards a hd dvd player can be saved up towards a bd player.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyban View Post
Hi
I have an Xbox360 with HD-dvd.
The addon has done its job and convinced me to invest in a player.
I'm from EU and see that the XE1 is the best player at the moment.
It seems to be a first rate HD-dvd player.
Can some of you confirm that it is a good DVD upscaler?
Also, is this a good buy or are there new, better players coming out by the summer.
I don't mind waiting abit, but the xbox noise is annoying!

Many thanks
I upgraded from the 360 add-on to the XA2 (US designation) a little over a month ago. I totally love the XA2 and don't regret the expense. The upconversion is fantastic and in the 6 weeks I've had it, I have not experienced any problems whatsoever. I think the initial boot of the 360 is a few seconds faster but once it's on, the XA2 loads DVD's in less than 15 seconds and HD DVD's in about 30 seconds. I highly recommend this player to you and anyone. I do not expect we will see a better HD DVD player this player generation. The next HD-DVD generation should come out next year but is hard to imagine much improvement over the XA2.

Last edited by Count Westwest; 04-09-2007 at 05:31 PM.