How good is the HQV chip really? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-08-2007, 12:14 AM

Default How good is the HQV chip really?

I've made my choice - it's HD DVD for me.

It all came down to one thing, my favorite movie ever: Conan!
Although I'm sad Blu-Ray gets my second fav movie of all time: Last Starfighter.
Anyway - so on to the nitty gritty. A2 vs XA2.

After researching and looking over every bit of the Silicon Optics HQV page I'm almost sold on the XA2. $600 is alot of money, and $350 for athe A2 is very tempting.

So a couple questions:
(Oh just so you know - my display is a 42inch Panasonic Plasma - 720p)
1. How much better PQ wise is the XA2 over the A2?
2. Does the HQV chip do anything for HD DVD's PQ wise? (couldn't pin this one down on their site)

Pretty much for double the price, I want a player that's twice as good (I have about 400 standard DVD's). But if it's just an ego thing or if it's only 10-20% better, than I'd rather get an A2.

Thanks for you help/opinion.
I really appreciate it.

-DE
Old 04-08-2007, 11:34 AM

I recommend you pick up the A2 and save the money. Dont think $300 for a little extra upscaling performance is worth it. My A2 scales just fine on my 70" 720p set.

The only reason I would recommend the XA2 over the A2 would be if you need analog audio out for lossless audio since its the only 2nd HD-DVD player that has those outputs. Of course HDMI 1.3 and 1080p output as well but neither of these will do anything for your current setup unless you plan on upgrading your TV in the near future.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:30 PM

Default HQV IS freakin' amazing (at least in my denon dvd player)

I bought then A2 and only after found out that the XA2 had the HQV chipset in it. All I knew about the XA2 was hdmi 1.3 etc but not what specific chipset was in the player.

I own the $850 (msrp) Denon 2930ci the first high end dvd player with the HQV chipset in it. The PQ is second to none. There is NOOOO player on the market that has better PQ on a standard dvd then this player. Actually the only slightly better one is the $1500 denon which uses a slightly higher end HQV chipset in it.

The HQV Chip does per pixel image processing. It is stunning what this player can do to a standard dvd and can upscale it perfectly all the way to 1080p if you wish.

I bought the denon after reading a review on home theater blog that basically said the player and PQ is flawless. I agree. So having said all that if the HQV chip is doing the image processing in the XA2 you cannot get better image quality out of standard dvd in that player. I also hear it does a nice job with the HD image processing as well.