HD A2 is a total rip-off, stay away! - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 05:09 AM

Default HD A2 is a total rip-off, stay away!

I spent $500 bucks on this door stop. It worked fine for 2 months. I followed the firmware upgrade to 1.3 as recommended by Toshiba. It has not worked right since. I have been patient for the last six weeks, but the total nutjobs they have at tech support have now recommended I replace my home theater hardware in order to get it to work with the HD-A2. They have finally broken my last nerve. I'm buying a Blu-ray tomorrow, maybe it will at least work as promised. I am so pissed off at Toshiba, they are useless!
Old 04-07-2007, 10:25 AM

more like don't buy HD-DVDs, blu-ray is better, amirite?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:53 AM

That's funny, because my HD-A2 works fantastic. In fact the HD DVD picture is better than the blu-ray one (at least on my setup).
Old 04-07-2007, 12:10 PM

I have had no issues with my A2 at all. Totally love the machine!
Old 04-07-2007, 01:32 PM

Tompace, I do not doubt your experience, but your situation is not the normal experience. HD DVD is excellent and the A2 is a great second generation HD DVD player.

You may need to have the player repaired.

-Robert
Old 04-07-2007, 01:52 PM

I knew without a doubt that as soon as I opened this thread that the original poster would be someone completely new to the forum and would throw in something positive about blu-ray.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingproof73 View Post
I have had no issues with my A2 at all. Totally love the machine!
Same here. Knock on wood.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:26 PM

Bought my A2 a very short time ago and it's been working flawlessly ever since. No trouble with the dozen or so movies I've bought over the past two weeks.

I couldn't be happier with its performance. I don't know what firmware it has, but since it's been working perfectly so far, I don't feel the need to "upgrade" anything.

The old saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" - is a rule I happen to agree with

So long as my movies continue to play properly, I'm happy. I'll be leaving whatever firmware it came with, exactly the way it is.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but to completely write off a product (or to put it more accurately, an entire line of products) and try to convince others not to buy them just because YOU happened to have a bad experience with it, well, that seems a bit extreme. You're probably in part of a very small group of owners who've had a problem with the unit.

If it's still under warranty, take it back and exchange it for a new one. Or at least contact Toshiba. I'm sure they'll repair it for you.

Last edited by Joe6pack; 04-08-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:01 PM

I would never have considered buying such a "new" product without making sure I had "insurance" on it. It sucked paying more money, but I had to get BB product protection plan. If someone out there is worried, I would highly recommend buying protection. Both CC and BB offer such plans. The main reason to consider buying at one of these stores. The peace of mind is very nice indeed.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:16 PM

Default HD A2 frustrations

You can see my earlier post 'firmware 1.3 wrecked my HDMI' for details. I paid $75 for BB extended warranty. They won't honor it until the year of Toshiba's warranty expires. Toshiba repaired it once. It has been exchanged already. It worked well with firmware 1.0, 1.2 wrecked it, & 1.3 had no effect. Toshiba now says it's the DVI interface to my InFocus projector & I should replace it. Very hard not to lose my temper, especially after all this time that I've been patient with their tech support. The people at InFocus says the idea that it is their equipment is laughable, and that Toshiba is culpable.
Closed Thread