New firmware 3.0 for HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 in Japan - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-20-2008, 06:14 AM

Default New firmware 3.0 for HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 in Japan

Toshiba released firmware 3.0 for HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 in Japan today.

The content of the release is newly added support for playback of HDVR format (HDTV content recorded with Toshiba HD DVD recorders RD-A1/A600/A300/A301). Additionally there were some generic "playback improvements" according to Toshiba's announcement.

I don't know if corresponding firmware is going to be released in other markets as well as the recorders are Japan specific models.

http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/hdd-dvd/su...XA2HD-XF2.html

I was very much looking forward to this update as I want to play my RD-A301 recordings with my HD-XF2 as well.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 AM

I will wait for something official for US models, thanks for posting this information. At version 2.8, there are some issues I have been reading about.

Chris
Old 05-20-2008, 10:04 AM

That's certainly good news about HD DVD-R playback. Hopefully that will be the case for HD DVD-R discs recorded from PC burners as well, and later HD content burned onto DVD-R. When 3.0 for the US comes out, I'm going to leave my XA2 on 2.7 until I hear some feedback from others.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:19 AM

Are you sure because I just got a disc in the mail that said 3.0 but it was for the A1 and XA1?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Are you sure because I just got a disc in the mail that said 3.0 but it was for the A1 and XA1?

I got that one also but click on the link which shows HD-XA2.

Chris
Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Yes, this firmware update in Japan is specifically for 2nd generation Japan models: HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 (Japan equivalent of HD-A2). I updated my HD-XF2 yesterday through the internet and the update works as expected. I can now play the HDVR discs I've recorded with my RD-A301 on it, I tried with both HD DVD-R 15 GB and 30 GB discs. Those didn't work before. I noticed I have to finalize the discs with the recorder before they can be played on HD-XF2, when I just want to play them with RD-A301 the finalization is not required as they work without it.

The recorded content starts to play back automatically when the disc is inserted and there is resume-play function for HDVR discs, i.e. when I press stop I can start playback from the same point again, but if I turn off the power once I have to start the playback from the beginning.

One of my HD DVD-R 30 GB discs I tried didn't work for some reason though, when playback is supposed to start nothing happens, but all the others I tried worked OK.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
Yes, this firmware update in Japan is specifically for 2nd generation Japan models: HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 (Japan equivalent of HD-A2). I updated my HD-XF2 yesterday through the internet and the update works as expected. I can now play the HDVR discs I've recorded with my RD-A301 on it, I tried with both HD DVD-R 15 GB and 30 GB discs. Those didn't work before. I noticed I have to finalize the discs with the recorder before they can be played on HD-XF2, when I just want to play them with RD-A301 the finalization is not required as they work without it.

The recorded content starts to play back automatically when the disc is inserted and there is resume-play function for HDVR discs, i.e. when I press stop I can start playback from the same point again, but if I turn off the power once I have to start the playback from the beginning.

One of my HD DVD-R 30 GB discs I tried didn't work for some reason though, when playback is supposed to start nothing happens, but all the others I tried worked OK.
Have you tried hitting the play button on your remote to power the unit on? I find that DVDs (and the HDNet HD DVDs) do in fact resume from the point you left off if you do this.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Have you tried hitting the play button on your remote to power the unit on? I find that DVDs (and the HDNet HD DVDs) do in fact resume from the point you left off if you do this.
I haven't tried, didn't know that play button can be used to power on. I'll try out if it starts the playback from the same old position with HDVR discs. Thanks for the tip
Old 05-22-2008, 04:35 AM

Someone confirm if this firmware is valid for the Toshiba HD-E1, because I do not read HD DVD-R discs.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:28 PM

Toshiba indicated to me that a new update will be forthcoming for the XA2 and other models.

Their continued support for updates could be a reality since the A1 just got 3.0.