New firmware 3.0 for HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 in Japan - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2008, 06:14 AM
kannisto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,590
Default New firmware 3.0 for HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 in Japan

Toshiba released firmware 3.0 for HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 in Japan today.

The content of the release is newly added support for playback of HDVR format (HDTV content recorded with Toshiba HD DVD recorders RD-A1/A600/A300/A301). Additionally there were some generic "playback improvements" according to Toshiba's announcement.

I don't know if corresponding firmware is going to be released in other markets as well as the recorders are Japan specific models.

http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/hdd-dvd/su...XA2HD-XF2.html

I was very much looking forward to this update as I want to play my RD-A301 recordings with my HD-XF2 as well.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 AM
chris gerhard's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,820
Default

I will wait for something official for US models, thanks for posting this information. At version 2.8, there are some issues I have been reading about.

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-20-2008, 10:04 AM
bruceames's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,479
Default

That's certainly good news about HD DVD-R playback. Hopefully that will be the case for HD DVD-R discs recorded from PC burners as well, and later HD content burned onto DVD-R. When 3.0 for the US comes out, I'm going to leave my XA2 on 2.7 until I hear some feedback from others.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 439
Default

Are you sure because I just got a disc in the mail that said 3.0 but it was for the A1 and XA1?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 AM
chris gerhard's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Are you sure because I just got a disc in the mail that said 3.0 but it was for the A1 and XA1?

I got that one also but click on the link which shows HD-XA2.

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 PM
kannisto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Are you sure because I just got a disc in the mail that said 3.0 but it was for the A1 and XA1?
Yes, this firmware update in Japan is specifically for 2nd generation Japan models: HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 (Japan equivalent of HD-A2). I updated my HD-XF2 yesterday through the internet and the update works as expected. I can now play the HDVR discs I've recorded with my RD-A301 on it, I tried with both HD DVD-R 15 GB and 30 GB discs. Those didn't work before. I noticed I have to finalize the discs with the recorder before they can be played on HD-XF2, when I just want to play them with RD-A301 the finalization is not required as they work without it.

The recorded content starts to play back automatically when the disc is inserted and there is resume-play function for HDVR discs, i.e. when I press stop I can start playback from the same point again, but if I turn off the power once I have to start the playback from the beginning.

One of my HD DVD-R 30 GB discs I tried didn't work for some reason though, when playback is supposed to start nothing happens, but all the others I tried worked OK.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 AM
bruceames's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
Yes, this firmware update in Japan is specifically for 2nd generation Japan models: HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 (Japan equivalent of HD-A2). I updated my HD-XF2 yesterday through the internet and the update works as expected. I can now play the HDVR discs I've recorded with my RD-A301 on it, I tried with both HD DVD-R 15 GB and 30 GB discs. Those didn't work before. I noticed I have to finalize the discs with the recorder before they can be played on HD-XF2, when I just want to play them with RD-A301 the finalization is not required as they work without it.

The recorded content starts to play back automatically when the disc is inserted and there is resume-play function for HDVR discs, i.e. when I press stop I can start playback from the same point again, but if I turn off the power once I have to start the playback from the beginning.

One of my HD DVD-R 30 GB discs I tried didn't work for some reason though, when playback is supposed to start nothing happens, but all the others I tried worked OK.
Have you tried hitting the play button on your remote to power the unit on? I find that DVDs (and the HDNet HD DVDs) do in fact resume from the point you left off if you do this.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-21-2008, 08:23 PM
kannisto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Have you tried hitting the play button on your remote to power the unit on? I find that DVDs (and the HDNet HD DVDs) do in fact resume from the point you left off if you do this.
I haven't tried, didn't know that play button can be used to power on. I'll try out if it starts the playback from the same old position with HDVR discs. Thanks for the tip
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-22-2008, 04:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 105
Default

Someone confirm if this firmware is valid for the Toshiba HD-E1, because I do not read HD DVD-R discs.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 869
Default

Toshiba indicated to me that a new update will be forthcoming for the XA2 and other models.

Their continued support for updates could be a reality since the A1 just got 3.0.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Firmware 4.0 HD-XA2/HD-XF2 (japan) segaklon HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 64 01-19-2009 10:51 AM
2.8 Firmware Available (North America) for HD-A2/D2, A20 and XA2! MidnightWatcher HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 37 01-30-2008 06:03 PM
XA2 update cant find the download for XA2 dachst8087 HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 1 11-16-2007 01:18 PM
A2, D2, and XA2 FIRMWARE FLAW DISCOVERY - 1080i may not properly be supported IIIII High Definition Smackdown 19 10-31-2007 11:05 PM
HD-XA2 NEW firmware is ver 1.3/TS - fixed analog LFE problem Eladeralienman HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 7 04-01-2007 02:29 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off