Up Conversion De-Interlace issues - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-19-2008, 05:14 PM

Default Up Conversion De-Interlace issues

I've an XA2 player, whenever I stick in an older DVD, (Family Guy, Father Ted) I get obvious artifacts that stem from de-interlacing, loads of horizontal lines across the moving portion of the image when the scene moves fast.

Is there anything I can do to stop this? Other than making the player output 480, and basically remove the upconversion.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 PM

Seems odd, since the XA2 has one of the best upconverter chips out there. Have you actually tried outputing it as 480? If you are having problems the problem most likely lies with the DVD encode than anything. Are these the only DVDs you have tried?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:41 PM

I've tried loads of DVD's, these two in particular produce this problem the most frequently, the opening credits of Father Ted whe they push Father Jack over is the consistant one. I have seen it in other DVD's but no-one in the room mentions it, so I'm guessing that it is only bothering me. As you say, the XA-2 is supposed to be the best upconverter (the reason I chose it) so am suitably puzzled.
I've connected my XA-2 to my Onkyo 605 using HDMI, then HDMI to my Sharp Aquos 64 series. I'm wondering whether the Onkyo is messing with it. I can't find a setting that seems to be able to deal with it in the Onkyo menus though.

I've not tried outputting as 480 yet, I'm using a Harmony remote and haven't programmed that series of buttons in yet. So I'll dig out the XA-2 remote soon and see what it does.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:00 PM

I think it has to do with a firmware update problem maybe.
my friend has an XA2 and he has had problems also.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I think it has to do with a firmware update problem maybe.
my friend has an XA2 and he has had problems also.
Definitely a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Macintosh View Post
I've tried loads of DVD's, these two in particular produce this problem the most frequently, the opening credits of Father Ted whe they push Father Jack over is the consistant one. I have seen it in other DVD's but no-one in the room mentions it, so I'm guessing that it is only bothering me. As you say, the XA-2 is supposed to be the best upconverter (the reason I chose it) so am suitably puzzled.
I've connected my XA-2 to my Onkyo 605 using HDMI, then HDMI to my Sharp Aquos 64 series. I'm wondering whether the Onkyo is messing with it. I can't find a setting that seems to be able to deal with it in the Onkyo menus though.

I've not tried outputting as 480 yet, I'm using a Harmony remote and haven't programmed that series of buttons in yet. So I'll dig out the XA-2 remote soon and see what it does.
Well now that you mention the Onkyo, I know the 605 has a firmware update for it. Other than that there really is no reason for it to contaminate your video like that.

Here is what I would do...check your player and see if you need a firmware update, then check your 605 for the same. If then you still get the same problems, then you should check your HDMI cables, and if that still doesnt work, try connecting the player directly into the TV and just check to see if the the problem persists. If by then you still notice it, its pretty much safe to assume its the encoding of your DVDs and not your system.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Macintosh View Post

No, it's not the Onkyo - it doesn't do any processing of video via HDMI, just passes it through. What resolution are you outputting the XA2 at? 1080i/1080p60/ or 1080p24? Perhaps your Sharp Aquos is doing something with the video? If you're outputting at 1080p 24 fps, it could be the way those DVDs were authored - that they're TV series stands out.

I think the XA2 upconversion is amazing - it's so good I've recently been buying standard DVDs for the first time since hhhhdvd/bbblu launched. The Weinstein Miriam Collection editions of El Cid & Fall of the Roman Empire, and traded Heroes Season1 hhhhdvd for the entire Seasons 1-5 of Six Feet Under. They all look terrific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by resevilfan86 View Post
Well now that you mention the Onkyo, I know the 605 has a firmware update for it. Other than that there really is no reason for it to contaminate your video like that.
The FW updates for the 605 are for audio only. The 1st update was for some early production units that could not decode DTS-HD MA, and the 2nd was to correct the "DTS Bomb" in which some bbblu titles with DTS-HD MA audio bitstreamed could create some loud popping noises when least expected.

Last edited by Cochise; 05-20-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Add'l. information
Old 05-20-2008, 02:49 PM

My friend who owns the XA2 has told me that though the dvd upconverting is VERY good, there is some major problem involving a certain output I believe.
I will ask him about it, and get back.
I'm pretty sure it has to do with a firmware update that fixed an HD DVD problem but screwed up sd dvds.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:34 PM

i get those same things on some 480i resolution special features with my A30. but i don't change my 1080p/24f to watch those either. and i just live with 'em... it's not a huge issue for me. if i was getting those in high def output, i'd be more concerned.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
No, it's not the Onkyo - it doesn't do any processing of video via HDMI, just passes it through. What resolution are you outputting the XA2 at? 1080i/1080p60/ or 1080p24? Perhaps your Sharp Aquos is doing something with the video? If you're outputting at 1080p 24 fps, it could be the way those DVDs were authored - that they're TV series stands out.
The Onkyo doesn't do any processing, but sometimes it might cause some interference to the signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
The FW updates for the 605 are for audio only. The 1st update was for some early production units that could not decode DTS-HD MA, and the 2nd was to correct the "DTS Bomb" in which some bbblu titles with DTS-HD MA audio bitstreamed could create some loud popping noises when least expected.
The firmware updates might have been labeled for audio but reality is that there may be more to it than that. Plus sometimes doing updates like that have been known to fix other tiny problems like this. Either way, the Onkyo should be updated.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:50 PM

Thanks for all of the information so far, I'm running the XA-2 on firmware 2.7 as I had heard of the issues regarding the 2.8 update.

I think I'm outputting 1080p/24, but am not convinced as I recall reading that my TV doesn't support 24fps so I'm more than likely running 1080p/60. I'll check tonight and see.

Thanks again.