Hddvd Computer Requirements !help! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-19-2008, 10:25 PM

Default Hddvd Computer Requirements !help!

I am trying to connect the 360 ADD On to my computer.

My spec:
P4 3.4 Ghz. w/ HT Technology
2GB RAM
nvidia 6800 pci-e (with vga and dvi)
22" HP Monitor w/ HDMI

**I'm not too computer savvy

Says I need to connect it via HDMI or DVI BUTI have it connected through HDMI (to the monitor) and DVI to the computer.

Anyway to get around this without buying a new video card?

Cyberlink gave me this link:
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/suppo...q.jsp?FID=2577

and...

Note: If you want to use digital output during Blu-ray Disc or HD DVD playback (through DVI or HDMI connection), make sure the graphics card is HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) compatible. If your graphics card is not HDCP-compliant but with a DVI connector, you can use a DVI-to-VGA converter (or cable) to output the video in analog format. To determine whether your graphics card is HDCP-compliant, please visit the hardware manufacturer's Web site.

What I am gathering is that my graphics card is not HDCP compliant. Whatever that means-- any thoughts?

Old 04-20-2008, 03:50 AM

Connect it via the VGA (forget DVI/HDMI) and it "should" work fine. My video card (8800GTS 640) is HDCP compliant but neother of my 2405 Dell monitors are. I got a black screen when I tried to playback discs. Switched to VGA and *poof* works fine. Something about VGA not being a "pure" digital connection lets you get around the whole HDCP mess..This is the same thing that the XBox 360 uses to let you upscale etc without HDMI
Old 04-20-2008, 06:08 AM

that video card is extremely weak for hd video tho...my 7800 gt was also very weak. the video playback was very choppy.

u should also look into a dual core cpu
Old 04-20-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormond View Post
Connect it via the VGA (forget DVI/HDMI) and it "should" work fine. My video card (8800GTS 640) is HDCP compliant but neother of my 2405 Dell monitors are. I got a black screen when I tried to playback discs. Switched to VGA and *poof* works fine. Something about VGA not being a "pure" digital connection lets you get around the whole HDCP mess..This is the same thing that the XBox 360 uses to let you upscale etc without HDMI
You were right. As soon as I hooked it up via VGA it recognized it easily and it played no problem. Not that my monitor is big enough to notice a difference, but is there any loss of quality going from HDMI->DVI to VGA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNTaIPaTleNT View Post
that video card is extremely weak for hd video tho...my 7800 gt was also very weak. the video playback was very choppy.

u should also look into a dual core cpu
Yeah, I have been looking at replacing the cpu and video card-- But then I thought it to be foolish since the only game I do play is counter-strike which was made YEARS ago so it runs it just fine. Not only so, but I wouldn't know how. Anyway, I don't know why it was so choppy for you. I just played 300 no problem. I watched about 30 minutes of it (fight scenes) and no choppiness whatsoever. That's really odd
Old 04-20-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtm View Post
You were right. As soon as I hooked it up via VGA it recognized it easily and it played no problem. Not that my monitor is big enough to notice a difference, but is there any loss of quality going from HDMI->DVI to VGA?
Not that I can tell (but to be honest my monitors let me switch back and forth pretty fast so I switch to VGA when I want to play an HD DVD) I ran pure VGA for about a week (was playing with the drive) and didn't notice any difference. In response to the other part I think your CPU has more to do with playback than your video card does. I am running a Q6600 (quad core 2.4) w/ 4GB of RAM on Vista Ultimate and it pegs the CPU pretty hard..not a ton of RAM usage and my video card doesn't seem like it is working overtime. But that may be just me. I have a drive hooked to my laptop (Core2Duo 2.0Ghz with 7600 graphics and 2GB RAM) on Win XP and it seems to do ok as wll (and that video card really is nothing special.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtm View Post
Yeah, I have been looking at replacing the cpu and video card-- But then I thought it to be foolish since the only game I do play is counter-strike which was made YEARS ago so it runs it just fine. Not only so, but I wouldn't know how. Anyway, I don't know why it was so choppy for you. I just played 300 no problem. I watched about 30 minutes of it (fight scenes) and no choppiness whatsoever. That's really odd

Consider yourself lucky then, lol.

I don't know why it ran so bad with my P4 3.2, 7800GT and 4GB ram. At that point in time though I was in the process of building a better computer, so once I got my Q6600, 8800GT KO and 4GB of faster ram it was a cakewalk. Now that computer is overclocked to 3.6GHz for 24/7 use...I don't think theres anything it can't handle now haha.