HD DVD Players and Audio Capability - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-01-2008, 03:19 PM

Question HD DVD Players and Audio Capability

Has anyone built a matrix for HD DVD players similar to this one for Blu-ray players?

My specific question is what codecs will an A2 or A3 not decode and pass along as PCM via HDMI?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:40 PM

No Matrix for HD DVD players, because it's not so complicated.

All standalone HD DVD players (not including dual format players) will decode DD+ and TrueHD in 5.1 and pass it to a receiver via HDMI as PCM. No HD DVD players can decode DTS-HD High Resolution or DTS-HD Master Audio - but the can extract the DTS 'core' from those audio codecs. Only the Toshiba A35 & XA2 and Onkyo 805 can bitstream DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD HR and DTS-HD MA via HDMI to a receiver for decoding.

Accordingly, A2 & A3 can decode DD+ & TrueHD and pass along as PCM via HDMI. They can only extract the DTS 'core' and pass along as PCM via HDMI.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:47 PM

Thanks.

I'm looking at a receiver upgrade in the near future and am seeing better value in last year's models (without advanced codec capabilities); that just means getting a Blu-ray player with all decoding capabilities.

I wanted to understand what I would miss from HD DVDs with the players I have - if that mean only DTS core from the few DTS HD MA discs and get everything else, I can deal with that.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post

All standalone HD DVD players (not including dual format players) will decode DD+ and TrueHD in 5.1 and pass it to a receiver via HDMI as PCM. No HD DVD players can decode DTS-HD High Resolution or DTS-HD Master Audio - but the can extract the DTS 'core' from those audio codecs. Only the Toshiba A35 & XA2 and Onkyo 805 can bitstream DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD HR and DTS-HD MA via HDMI to a receiver for decoding.

Accordingly, A2 & A3 can decode DD+ & TrueHD and pass along as PCM via HDMI. They can only extract the DTS 'core' and pass along as PCM via HDMI.
Do any of the players (including the combo players) output 7.1?
Old 06-20-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.master.dre View Post
Do any of the players (including the combo players) output 7.1?
I think the Bh200 does, but I could be mistaken.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
I think the Bh200 does, but I could be mistaken.
That would be good. I own an A30, A35, Sammy 5K and the LG 200 so any of them having 7.1 is a bonus. It is rediculus that the a35 doesn't. Any hope that Toshiba will fix that with a firmware update?
Old 06-20-2008, 03:17 PM

Doesn't the a35 do it through bitstream?
I haven't tested it, yet, although I do think the T2 i have has 7.1...

According to a thread at AVS the most recent firmware for the BH200 gave it "which amongst other things gives the LG BH200 DTS-HD HR/MA & TrueHD 7.1 support."
Old 06-22-2008, 04:06 AM

the a35 can bitstream 7.1, i have tested it with pan's labyrinth
Old 06-23-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post

Also the Integra DHS 8.8 can. (same as the Onkyo and XA2 players)
Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
the a35 can bitstream 7.1, i have tested it with pan's labyrinth
That is good. At least in the future when I upgrade from my Yammy HTR-6090 to a 1.3 HDMI unit (not for quite a while) I can utilize the 7.1 on pan's. I wish they would put out a final firmware update that would solve the jaggies, give us 24hz and 7.1. Wishful thinking!