Is True HD & DTS MA worth it? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-30-2008, 09:12 AM

Default Is True HD & DTS MA worth it?

I'm thinking of upgrading my current receiver to be able to have True HD & DTS MA via my XA2.
Currently my receiver is fairly limited, no HDMI in, only toslink, but still has some reasonable grunt, is the improved audio quality really worth the extra expense to upgrade?
Is the sound quality that much better?
Please share your experiences

Last edited by Fat Tony; 06-20-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:15 AM

In a word....HELLS YEAH!!!!

I have an Onkyo TX-SR605 and a HD-XA2 setup for bitstreaming (if you have trouble setting it up, holla and I can give you my settings, took me a fracking week to get it right). However, the results are spectacular to say the least. I have several import titles that have DTS-HR MA and seeing the display on my Onkyo show DTS Master Audio was exciting, hearing it was only ever matched by a quality theater! The opening scene for Fantastic Four 2 will knock your socks off! Knowing the difference between the lossless soundtracks and DD+, you can certainly say that lossless is better (ie, when Transformers hits BD, it will be a double dip for me if and only if the audio is lossless). As you are not running your audio via HDMI, run, don't walk, to the nearest location and get yourself a new amp capable of HDMI audio and decoding the newest sound codecs! You will certainly enjoy the difference I think. Just my .02

PS, keep in mind that you will need to have the firmware updated on the XA2 to get DTS MA, I am using 2.7 with no ill effects. Others have reported that 2.8 causes issues with 1080p/24f, fyi
Old 03-30-2008, 04:56 PM

rmoody, i have an onkyo 805 and an xa2 i would like to know your audio settings for your amp. I just ran audessey and it auto configured my amp is that not the way to go?

to answer the op's question it does sound better! for me it just sounds louder i dont know how else to describe it.

thanks.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
seeing the display on my Onkyo show DTS Master Audio was exciting
I'm sure it probably sounds better, but I have seen numerous posts in which it seems the greatest advantage is seeing certain logos light up. I'd like to read more about what you really hear (other than that it is louder).
Old 03-30-2008, 09:30 PM

personally i prefer bitstreamed audio over letting the player decode. on my toshi a20 the player decodes while on my panny bd 30 i send via bitstream. at first i couldn't tell the difference between the new codecs and the old ones, but now i can and i like it. i have polk audio monitor series speakers and the new yamaha v-663 receiver. hd audio is nice to have , but i guess i was expecting more for all the money thats been invested in speakers and receiver.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:14 AM

Personally, for me, it is worth it. No doubt. (Response to below poster - I live in a small apartment.)

Not everyone has an ear to even hear the difference between lossy and lossless audio. Also, some say they do, but really they just don't. Everyone's experience will be different. I think your speakers will play as much, if not more, of a role than the audio being sent to them. Someone with a room of satellites may not benefit from HD audio as much as someone with quality towers, mtm's and bookshelves.

Last edited by Blacklac; 03-31-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:27 AM

I depends on the size and acoustics of the room. If you have a home theater the size of your 500 seat multiplex then "hell yeah". The sound will fill the space nicely. If you have a small one bedroom apartment surrounded by neighbors on all sides, then the upgrade is really not worth the money or the complaints you might get.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggani View Post
I depends on the size and acoustics of the room. If you have a home theater the size of your 500 seat multiplex then "hell yeah". The sound will fill the space nicely. If you have a small one bedroom apartment surrounded by neighbors on all sides, then the upgrade is really not worth the money or the complaints you might get.
Oh, you mean like the complaints I get from mom?

Still love that lossless audio! I had gotten to the point that I could tell a 128kbps MP3 from higher bitrate samples very easily, so I can hear the sound difference. That takes months of knowing what to listen to. At these bitrates it's hard to tell, but I just think the sound is brighter, clearer, and cleaner. Hard to put a finger on it.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoody View Post
In a word....HELLS YEAH!!!!

I have an Onkyo TX-SR605 and a HD-XA2 setup for bitstreaming (if you have trouble setting it up, holla and I can give you my settings, took me a fracking week to get it right). However, the results are spectacular to say the least. I have several import titles that have DTS-HR MA and seeing the display on my Onkyo show DTS Master Audio was exciting, hearing it was only ever matched by a quality theater! The opening scene for Fantastic Four 2 will knock your socks off! Knowing the difference between the lossless soundtracks and DD+, you can certainly say that lossless is better (ie, when Transformers hits BD, it will be a double dip for me if and only if the audio is lossless). As you are not running your audio via HDMI, run, don't walk, to the nearest location and get yourself a new amp capable of HDMI audio and decoding the newest sound codecs! You will certainly enjoy the difference I think. Just my .02

PS, keep in mind that you will need to have the firmware updated on the XA2 to get DTS MA, I am using 2.7 with no ill effects. Others have reported that 2.8 causes issues with 1080p/24f, fyi
Thanks for that!
I'm going to buy the Onkyo 605 as well (as soon as she who must be obeyed concurs ), when I do i'll get those settings from you, cheers for that.
I was thinking with the XA2 it would be better to hook up the sound using analouge in and HDMI to the TV for video, as I've read the 605s video capabilities are not as good as what the XA2 can put out, your thoughts?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Thanks for that!
I'm going to buy the Onkyo 605 as well (as soon as she who must be obeyed concurs ), when I do i'll get those settings from you, cheers for that.
I was thinking with the XA2 it would be better to hook up the sound using analouge in and HDMI to the TV for video, as I've read the 605s video capabilities are not as good as what the XA2 can put out, your thoughts?
If I can jump in . . . . the Onkyo 605 doesn't do any processing to video via HDMI, so there is absolutely no difference in the video running it straight to your TV via HDMI. The 605 can handle up to 1080p/24fps, what capabilities does the XA2 have that the 605 can't handle?

Also, on my speakers & to my ears, I prefer the audio decoded on my 605 (bitstream) to that decoded on my XA2 (sent as PCM to the receiver). And of course the XA2 can't decode DTS-HD High Resolution or DTS-HD Master Audio - but only New Line's Pan's Labyrinth and a few concert HD DVDs use it on U.S. releases. But DTS-HD & MA is widely used on non U.S. HD DVDs and I have about 20 imports with wonderfully sounding DTS-HD MA that my Onkyo 605 decodes via HDMI bitstream.

Last edited by Cochise; 03-31-2008 at 03:23 PM.