Costco now selling the A2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Founding Member

Default Costco now selling the A2

Was in Costco in Altamonte Springs, Florida (Orlando suburb) this am and saw Costco had 15 A2s for sale right in the front of the store, next to the HD TVs. They actually had it connected to TV and were playing a movie.

These are the first HD players they have sold (other than the PS3s, which the sales rep said weren't selling very well - they only have the 60GB model). They still had the price of $449. The rep had no knowledge of the price drop announced by Toshiba. He said it usually takes a few days for any price drops to hit the floor. The associate also said they just got them in and will only be selling HD DVD players, no BD (who knows if he really knows, but he seemed to know his stuff). Costco is also starting to carry HD DVD movies and they had a bunch stuffed in with the the SD DVDs. Only about 5 titles to choose from, though.

Anyway, kind of exciting, although I stopped in the local Best Buy and they had 2 BD players up and running on each side of the TV section. they really have a h*rd on for BD. Oh well.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:42 PM

Actually I don't think the price drop is effective until April 1st. We'll see then if stores start cutting prices and what happens to the HD DVD market.

It seems like Best Buy's store setups vary greatly from one store to the next. At one I went to, the HD-A2 was playing "The Polar Express" on a 46" Sony (yep, SONY) 1080p LCD. Looked amazing. A couple of aisles down they had BD playing on a 40" 720p set. Looked good but not as good as the HD DVD. At the other one I went to, they had two sets playing BD, but with one they had HD DVD movies set up. These guys have no idea what they are doing! Why can't people that actually like electronics work at BB!
Old 03-24-2007, 11:55 PM

That reminds me I took these pics at Costco a couple of weeks ago! No Blu-ray in sight. But about a week later they were gone. Not too shabby...
Attached Thumbnails
Costco now selling the A2-mar10_001.jpg   Costco now selling the A2-mar10_002.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 01:51 AM

By the way, what the hell is an HD-D2? Look at the second pic in BanthaPoodoo's post.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:10 AM

An oversight? LOL

I can't remember which Costco up here but they have the RCA HD DVD...nice to see Costco selling it!
Old 03-25-2007, 02:12 AM

It's Costco's version of the A-2... basicly the same. However might get a slightly different firmware. They can get delayed like in the first gen. This is the reason that I didnt get one. But they can use the same firmware if you get a disk. YMMV.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post
By the way, what the hell is an HD-D2? Look at the second pic in BanthaPoodoo's post.
HAha!!! I didn't even notice that! It must be the Tatooine edition!

"Thats right D2. We're going to the Dagobah system. To demo you at their local Costco!"

Seriously, Im sure if the pics were better quality the boxes would say 'A2'. LOL
Old 03-25-2007, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
It's Costco's version of the A-2...
Oh, so it's for real? My bad...
Old 03-25-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post

I believe the D stands for discount. It's a model made just for discount stores like Costco, Walmart, etc.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Westwest View Post
I believe the D stands for discount. It's a model made just for discount stores like Costco, Walmart, etc.
This is true. They use inferior parts (sometimes software) and are made just for these stores. Apple also does this with the iPods (look at the numbers on those next time), and so do many other electronic companies (tvs, dvd players, etc etc).