HD-XA2 NEW firmware is ver 1.3/TS - fixed analog LFE problem - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-20-2007, 11:48 PM

Default HD-XA2 NEW firmware is ver 1.3/T19 - fixed analog LFE problem

I just installed the new firmware on my HD-XA2 from the disc I got from Toshiba today. The version is BRAND new and it is called version" 1.3/T19.
It has fixed the low signal levels from the 5.1 analog outs. I can now HERE the LFE sound signals generated from the tester within the players setup. All things played back using the analog outs ( Dolby True HD, and DD+)are sounding the way they are supposed to now THANK you Toshiba !!!!!

Last edited by Eladeralienman; 03-21-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:24 PM

1.3 did not fix the LFE over analog. The test tones and regular DVDs have always played at correct levels, but HD DVD movies have no LFE. I tested this extensively on both firmwares.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:01 PM

Default The 1.3/T19 firmware most definitely LFE analog level fixed for me!

The 1.3/T19 firmware most definitely boosted the LFE analog level for me!
I'm sorry that it hasn't fixed your problems. I assure you that the Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby True HD now have LFE ( and all bass sounds) levels that rival the bitstream. What I can tell you is that the Bass is somehow more "Punchy" in that it doesen't sound overly "rumbly"like the Bitstream (via SPDIF) DD or DTS makes the subwoofer sound, but instead the Bass kinda Hits you in the face like a punch, then decays more rapidly. I can also tell a worlds difference in how the surrounds are much more active when listening to a Dolby True HD track via the Analog outs verses using the SPDIF outputs. Before the 1.3/T19 update I couldn't here ANY Bass whatsoever from the sub both during the sound generators test from within the players setup menu and when listening to the analog outs when set to a DD+ or Dtrue HD track. All I know is I am sure happy that the firmware fixed my LFE problems with the analog outs on my player.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:49 PM

Do you have large or small front main speakers? What are your settings in the player's setup menu?
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:01 PM

Default speakers and settings

I have two large Klipsh F-3's as front speakers. In the setup menu I have the fronts as large, center is small, surrounds as small. All set a 0 db, with the sub also a 0 and at 120 crossover on the sub.

Last edited by Eladeralienman; 03-30-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:12 PM

It's currently believed that if you have Large speakers, the XA2 will send bass to those speakers, but is still not sending any to the subwoofer regardless of whether you set the sub for Use or Don't Use. Try disconnecting the .1 cable and see if you can hear any difference. My bet is that you won't. You're getting all of your bass through your left and right mains.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:51 PM

Default I get LFE with the analog out

I get LFE sound effects and low bass music through both my large front speakers and my sub. Tested many times with all sound sources. Of course, different sources produce different levels, but nonetheless there is LFE and Bass coming from the analog outs the HD-XA2 with the 1.3/T19 firmware on my system.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:29 PM

I've done more testing on this and found that there is LFE coming from the .1 channel, but it cuts out during loud events.

Disconnect all of your cables except the .1 channel and then play a movie scene with a loud explosion. The beginning of Superman Returns is a good example. If you play the DVD side of the disc with just the .1 channel connected, you'll get plenty of bassy rumble from your subwoofer through the whole explosion. If you play the HD DVD side, there's bass at the beginning but then it cuts out completely and goes dead silent during the peak. Bass only comes back later once the explosion is at an ebb. The channel cuts in and out repeatedly during the rest of the loud parts of the scene. This does not happen on the DVD side of the disc.

This is an easy test to perform and is very conclusive. The XA2's analog outputs are not working properly.