Yet another question about lack of LFE. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-20-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Yet another question about lack of LFE.

Hi,

From reading various forums, it seems that the problem is not associated with strictly analog or digital audio connections. My XA2 has extremely low LFE output, via analog connections to the receiver. There are posts out there by people with the same problem with an HDMI audio connection as well. I'm confused as to what the solution is. Originally I was gonna get an HDMI-equipped receiver, since I thought only analogs have this issue. What do you guys recommend that I do to get the correct sound from my HD DVD movies? I even read somewhere that the next firmware by Toshiba will fix this problem. For now, I just turn up the volume on my sub all the way.

Thanks,
Old 03-20-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisinBran View Post
Hi,

From reading various forums, it seems that the problem is not associated with strictly analog or digital audio connections. My XA2 has extremely low LFE output, via analog connections to the receiver. There are posts out there by people with the same problem with an HDMI audio connection as well. I'm confused as to what the solution is. Originally I was gonna get an HDMI-equipped receiver, since I thought only analogs have this issue. What do you guys recommend that I do to get the correct sound from my HD DVD movies? I even read somewhere that the next firmware by Toshiba will fix this problem. For now, I just turn up the volume on my sub all the way.

Thanks,
I'm no audiophile (I worked on the ramp of an airport for 6 years) but I have my XA2 connected with a HDMI cable to a HDMI receiver and as far as I'm concerned the LFE seems OK. Seems the problem is only with other type of connections.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,
If it's the same issue as the A1, you'll need to up your sub output by 10 dB (if your receiver has that functionality). If your receiver isn't capable of this, you can go into the setup menu of your player and decrease your surrounds by 10. I did this and no more issue.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
If it's the same issue as the A1, you'll need to up your sub output by 10 dB (if your receiver has that functionality). If your receiver isn't capable of this, you can go into the setup menu of your player and decrease your surrounds by 10. I did this and no more issue.

I THINK my receiver (Harman Kardon AVR430) has the ability to adjust each channel independently, but I'm not sure. I'm at work now, and will check into that tonight. Assuming my receiver can do it, is it better to do it through the receiver, or adjust the levels using the XA2? I thought that by using the analog outputs of the player, the receiver just passes all signals straight through to the speakers, without doing any signal processing? IF that was the case, then using the receiver to adjust speaker output will not work, right?

Thanks,
Old 03-20-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I THINK my receiver (Harman Kardon AVR430) has the ability to adjust each channel independently, but I'm not sure. I'm at work now, and will check into that tonight. Assuming my receiver can do it, is it better to do it through the receiver, or adjust the levels using the XA2? I thought that by using the analog outputs of the player, the receiver just passes all signals straight through to the speakers, without doing any signal processing? IF that was the case, then using the receiver to adjust speaker output will not work, right?

Thanks,
If you adjust it through the receiver, it could make the sub too loud for all the other inputs. Unless your receiver remembers individual speaker levels for each of its inputs separately, do it through the XA2.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:41 PM

Woohoo, solved my low LFE problem. Here's what I did:

From within the XA2 speaker menu, I put the sub at the max volume of 0 dB, and leave all other speakers (small) at the minimum of -12 dB. So, the difference here is 12 dB.

Then, from the receiver speaker adjust menu, I leave all speakers (small) at 0 dB, and jack up the sub level to the max of 10 dB. Here the difference is 10 dB.

Batman Begins HD is now rocking awesome, like it should be. And the sub is NOT too loud when listening to different sources, because the receiver allows me to customize speaker settings for each source.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Woohoo, solved my low LFE problem. Here's what I did:

From within the XA2 speaker menu, I put the sub at the max volume of 0 dB, and leave all other speakers (small) at the minimum of -12 dB. So, the difference here is 12 dB.

Then, from the receiver speaker adjust menu, I leave all speakers (small) at 0 dB, and jack up the sub level to the max of 10 dB. Here the difference is 10 dB.

Batman Begins HD is now rocking awesome, like it should be. And the sub is NOT too loud when listening to different sources, because the receiver allows me to customize speaker settings for each source.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!
Good to hear it was solved. I also set my crossover frequency on my sub to 80, which I found to be the perfect setting for me.