A2 Firmware update 1.3 wrecked HDMI signal - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-20-2007, 03:02 PM

Default A2 Firmware update 1.3 wrecked HDMI signal

Got the HDA2 as a Christmas present to myself 12/14. Worked fine until 2 months later when I

noticed short periods (<1 min) of 'snow' on the screen only during power up. I received the

Firmware 1.2 upgrade in the mail, and ran it without problems and then watched a standard

def film (Babel) without any problems. The very next day the HDMI output began dropping the

signal. The digital audio output continues as well as the DVD playback, only no picture.

Connecting the HDDVD to my samsung multisync monitor demonstrated the same HDMI signal

drops, only the monitor would resume the display again after a minute or two. The InFocus

ScreenPlay 5000 front projection TV would not resume HDMI display unless the HDDVD player

was restarted. I connected the ethernet port to the HDDVD player and upgraded the firmware

to 1.3, now the problem is worse in that the HDMI signal now drops during either standard

def or Hidef DVD playback.
So, unit returned to Bestbuy, which shipped it out for repair. Close to 3 weeks later unit

was returned. Same problem persists. Unit then replaced with a new one off the shelf. It

came with firmware 1.2. Same exact problem! Upgraded it to 1.3, same exact problem. Called

toshiba tech support, with the recommendation being to ship it for repair. That's already

been done. Plus, it's a brand new unit off the shelf! The monitors I use work fine, they are

connected to a DirecTV HDTV receiver and a Dell HT-PC without any problems whatsoever. All

trouble shooting steps have been performed in accordance with posted suggestions on the

Toshiba web site. Remember the unit worked without problems until the firmware upgrade from

1000 to 1.2. Advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It appears the firmware was

not tested on either InFocus displays or Samsung monitors before release.
Instead of fixing the HDMI/DVI connectivity as promised, it wrecked it!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompace View Post
Got the HDA2 as a Christmas present to myself 12/14. Worked fine until 2 months later when I

noticed short periods (<1 min) of 'snow' on the screen only during power up. I received the

Firmware 1.2 upgrade in the mail, and ran it without problems and then watched a standard

def film (Babel) without any problems. The very next day the HDMI output began dropping the

signal. The digital audio output continues as well as the DVD playback, only no picture.

Connecting the HDDVD to my samsung multisync monitor demonstrated the same HDMI signal

drops, only the monitor would resume the display again after a minute or two. The InFocus

ScreenPlay 5000 front projection TV would not resume HDMI display unless the HDDVD player

was restarted. I connected the ethernet port to the HDDVD player and upgraded the firmware

to 1.3, now the problem is worse in that the HDMI signal now drops during either standard

def or Hidef DVD playback.
So, unit returned to Bestbuy, which shipped it out for repair. Close to 3 weeks later unit

was returned. Same problem persists. Unit then replaced with a new one off the shelf. It

came with firmware 1.2. Same exact problem! Upgraded it to 1.3, same exact problem. Called

toshiba tech support, with the recommendation being to ship it for repair. That's already

been done. Plus, it's a brand new unit off the shelf! The monitors I use work fine, they are

connected to a DirecTV HDTV receiver and a Dell HT-PC without any problems whatsoever. All

trouble shooting steps have been performed in accordance with posted suggestions on the

Toshiba web site. Remember the unit worked without problems until the firmware upgrade from

1000 to 1.2. Advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It appears the firmware was

not tested on either InFocus displays or Samsung monitors before release.
Instead of fixing the HDMI/DVI connectivity as promised, it wrecked it!
As of late I've had some weird issues come up with my 360, I also own the A1. Don't have any real issues with the A1, but I do have an issue with the picture dropping out with my 360. I'm starting to believe it has something to do with my DIRECTV HD receiver, and I've noticed you have it as well, I'm starting to wonder what kind of problems this receiver creates. I have mine hooked up using a HDMI cable. Interesting enough, when my 360 picture drops, I have ghosting from my satellite receiver in the background and at times I didn't even have it on that day. I didn't start having these problems until my DirecTV received an update.

Therefore, which receiver do you have and how do you have it hooked up?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Interesting thought, but

There's a few reasons why I don't think that could be it. First off though, I did indeed have the H20 HDTV Directv receiver hooked into the hdmi switch shared with the Dell & the HDA2. Granted they are sharing the switch, however the moment I began experiencing problems, one of the first debugging steps I took was to connect the HDA2 directly to the ScreenPlay 5000 (SP5K). After bringing the new HDA2 home, it was connected directly to the SP5K. There was no physical way a connection existed to corrupt the integrity of the circuit by a third component.
Additionally, the Samsung SyncMaster 213T is upstairs in my office next to the router used for the firmware upgrade to 1.3, and it also demonstrated the same HDMI drops. So that rules out the SP5K being corrupted by the hdmi connection to the A2.
Finally, I've ordered a component video cable to verify that it is solely the hdmi having the issue, although I'm skeptical it will fail as well. Having to downgrade from a straight digital connection to a component connection is sad, and has me considering whether to give up on the HD A2 entirely.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:50 AM

Default Firmware downgrade possible?

I think the best idea left for debugging this (since replacement did not work, as it's shipping with the new firmware) would be to find a way to downgrade the firmware back to 1.0. Only Toshiba strongly recommends against it, stating it could damage the unit. Logically, it would be the next step. Unless another firmware upgrade is released by Toshiba. Has anyone heard of a successful downgrade attempt to the firmware???
Old 03-21-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompace View Post
I think the best idea left for debugging this (since replacement did not work, as it's shipping with the new firmware) would be to find a way to downgrade the firmware back to 1.0. Only Toshiba strongly recommends against it, stating it could damage the unit. Logically, it would be the next step. Unless another firmware upgrade is released by Toshiba. Has anyone heard of a successful downgrade attempt to the firmware???
I have done this as well on my A1 since that whenever I would download firmware 2.0 it would conk out on me 75% of way through, for some reason I could never get 100%. So, I had them send me the disc, and since I wanted a clean install, I went into the maintenance section and wiped the memory clean. My A1 has pretty much worked flawlessly ever since then.

Keep me posted.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Thanks

I called toshiba again & without success. The guy did at least check, and said they no longer have the 1.0 firmware in stock and it was no longer available. Which brings me back to square one. I'll keep you posted!
Thanks again!
Old 04-23-2007, 01:56 PM

Angry HDMI white snowy screen on startup

I notice that 4 out of 5 times that I power on my HD-A2 player that I get the snowy white screen on my rear projection TV.... I usually just tug the HDMI connection out and in of the socket slightly and then the picture is fine. It's annoying to have to do this every time I want to put on the machine.