How would you grade Toshiba for their commitment to hd dvd?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-08-2008, 04:21 AM

Default How would you grade Toshiba for their commitment to hd dvd??

Now that the format war is over...I am just curious how my fellow reds would grade Toshiba on their business stratreies to try to get consumers to pick hd dvd over blu-ray. I mean...from the introduction, their pricing, titles they released, their tatics when competing with blu-ray to stay stride and stride with them, their advertising and promotions, how they are exiting, and their path they are currently taking (dvd 960p upconversion)??? If you could go back...would you do it all over again or would you do different??? Is there anything you think they could have done different that may have helped them?? Here is how I would grade them:

Intro...A
Pricing...A
Titles...B (There were some classic catalog titles they could have released that they never did)
Tatics...A
Exit...C (With them still having Warner til May, they chose to give up instead of releasing some big name films from Paramount or Universal that may have changed Warner's stance or maybe getting a studio from camp blu to go netrual or exclusive with hd dvd,imho).
Current path...F (They choose to go with what is safe..dvd..and try to make upconversion more hd quality. They just gave up on hi def movies altogether and blu. I am sure it may have to do with $$$ loss but I think they are taking a step backward, again imho).

Overall Grade...B-

What say you my loyal to the end red brothers??
Old 03-08-2008, 05:32 AM

i agree toshiba was the little brother always getting picked on and beat up, instead of fighting back though they got a gun and pulled the trigger.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:35 AM

i would say

overall they deserve a B
they did what they could. the only thing they could have done differently was to push hd dvd more, find more CE's to produce drives. as far as i know they were the ONLY ones making the players.

fail fast and fail cheap, they knew no matter how much money they poured into hd dvd, sony would always double them. sony couldnt afford to lose this battle they had too much riding on this format.

in the end it was a 1000 pound gorilla(ps3) that stood in their way of becoming something great.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:36 AM

Product/Hardware - A+
Toshiba delivered with affordable, reliable, and upgradeable players.

Content - B+
To date HD DVD has the best HD library thanks to no region coding

Marketing - D
This is the area that hurt Toshiba the most. It was badly planned, funded, and delivered

Overall - B-
Toshiba gave us 2 of the best years of HD entertainment. Unfortunately Toshiba lacked the same commitment from its partners. I'm curious to see how a hurting economy will handle $300-$400 BD players.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:24 PM

Hardware: A+

Pricing: B (The prices were always competitive, but I think Toshiba was too slow to act in aggressively lowering the prices and waited to do it until the momentum was squarely in favor of Blu)

Content: A+ (The actual grade is lower, but I'll not ding Toshiba for releases that they had no control over.)

Marketing: F- (Yes, worse than a normal F.)

Overall: C
Old 03-08-2008, 05:51 PM

I would have to give a big red "F" for Toshiba's marketing campaign throughout the life of the HD-DVD format. Ads in mags like HOME THEATER and SOUND AND VISION that I saw just were not eye catching and memorable. I loved Michael Imperioli on SOPRANOS, but where did he fit in with HD-DVD marketing? That was a big mystery. His reputation as Tony Soprano's nephew made it seem like the ads were saying "Buy HD-DVD or go "swimmin' wit de fishes. You got it." It just didn't have the appeal as say Sony's current TV ads for the PS3 with clips of explosions and chases, etc. These are images that attract movie lovers. There was so much wonderful HD-DVD content to pull from as well. It's a shame that the marketing depts missed the boat, big time.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Formerly candymangt

Product/Hardware - A+
I have always had great luck with Toshiba hardware (tv's, dvd players, etc.) and they are the most reliable in this dept. Only complaint is that the remote has to be one of the most uggliest pieces of hardware for any remote.

Content - B+
The content is what got me into HD DVD and I would have to say that when compared to Blu, they have had the some of the better titles out, especially via catalog. I had more HD DVD's than Blu-ray before 1/4/08, but replaced all Warner HD DVD titles with their Blu-ray counterparts. So the sides have titled on content for me in terms of number of titles. But Universal was the key to getting me hooked to Red.

Marketing - F-
I don't even know if you can go lower than F-, but if I could I would. They screwed up big time here and if they would have pumped more money into this area things could have been better for them.

Overall - B
Almost 2 years worth of great HDM was excellent and great. If they could have gone 1 more year, we would have had a few more excellent titles that I was looking forward to. I am not going to ever buy into anymore of Toshiba's tech in the future unless it becomes proven, it aggravates me that the plug was pulled so soon on HD DVD.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:36 PM

Agreed with the marketing, as that is what did HD DVD in. You can have a great product, but if it is not marketed correctly it will not sell.
On the other hand, you can have an inferior product, and if it is marketed correctly, you can sell all you can make.
I still believe that if it was not for the PS3, we would either still have the war or HD would have won. The HD standalone is better than any standalone that the BD group has produced to this point. The only BD players that are remotely close are the 2 that Sony recently announced.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Agreed with the marketing, as that is what did HD DVD in. You can have a great product, but if it is not marketed correctly it will not sell.
On the other hand, you can have an inferior product, and if it is marketed correctly, you can sell all you can make.
I still believe that if it was not for the PS3, we would either still have the war or HD would have won. The HD standalone is better than any standalone that the BD group has produced to this point. The only BD players that are remotely close are the 2 that Sony recently announced.
Agree with you 100% The PS3 was the key to Sony's win over Toshiba's format. HD DVD was finalized when it was released so you never had to worry about 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0 compliant players mess the way Sony had to. Prices were definitely more consumer friendly than BD,imho. Studio support and the PS3 brand name is what helped blu win over red. I know they were losing much$$ and the Warner announcement did not help...but I wish hd dvd could have stuck it out longer.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:17 AM

Agree

Products/Support A+ Pricing A- Marketing B- Software A- Exit B My problem is Toshiba's timing. The player prices should have dropped before Thanksgiving!!! If Microsoft had dropped the price of HD DVD add-on to $50 or bundled the add-on with XBox 360 from the get go things would be different. Toshiba wasn't aggressive with getting the message out. Sony has it's name and partners going for them as well as lots of money to bribe retailers and movie studios(Fox,MGM,Warner Brothers) to do their dirty work.