Toshiba HD-A3 Upconverting help - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-07-2008, 09:06 PM

Default Toshiba HD-A3 Upconverting help

Hi, I recently bought an HD-A3 to use as a standard DVD unconverter. However, after I hooked everything up and tested a movie, it seems worse than my older sony dvd player. More specifically, the visuals are noticably blurrier. The HD-DVD player is hooked up via an HDMI 1.3 cable to my Panasonic TH-42PX75U. I've already gone to settings and chosen the resolution for "1080i and up". I also updated the firmware to the latest. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:54 AM
Formerly peterhefer1

how is it hooked up ? HDMI or Component,
Old 03-08-2008, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The HD-DVD player is hooked up via an HDMI 1.3 cable

What was the movie you were trying to play? Try some others to see if you are having the same problem. I tried upconverting a few live concert dvds and in 1080p (with my A30) it puts black bars on the side and doesn't look that great. Movies look great though so just try a few more to see if maybe it was just that disc.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:23 AM

I just hooked up my A3 stand alone also (I've been using the 360 add-on previously) and I have to say upconversion isn't quite all it's cracked up to be. For Underworld Evolution I didn't notice much of a difference, for a Dr Who DVD I popped in (The Tom Baker Episode Pyramids of Mars) the player threw up black bars on the side that cropped the image out of being widescreen, and some parts of Sunshine looked better while others looked worse as the upconversion showed grain that wasn't visible before being upscaled. So yeah, the image is a bit cleaner, but it's also worse in some ways from the few titles I've had the chance to compare....
Old 03-17-2008, 04:27 PM

I have to agree with the lackluster results on the HD-A3's upconverting. I had heard Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith was a great looking movie when upconverted... so it was the first one I popped in while my machine was hooked up to my Toshiba 51 inch rear projection 1080i TV.

It didn't look very good.

We then threw in "In The Valley Of Elah"...not a barn-burner in the world of scenery or special effects, but I noticed a lot of little blockies...as if the upconverter was trying to do something artificial, but failing at it.

I kept hoping I was doing something wrong, but I've read the manual... looked for some elusive button the remote... but nope. I've set everything up right...I guess either the player is just a crappy upconverter, or I've been spoiled by HD and there's no going back.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Formerly peterhefer1

I don't really use it for Upconverting as I have a PS3 hooked up and like it's results. I have experience some very good upconversion with my A3 though and also bad, I've had the black bars added to the sides of a widescreen movie instead of blowing it up fill the screen and Recently I tried FF2 ross and it got a security error over hdmi and dropped the rez to 480P where the PS3 hooked the exact same way put it out at full upconversion. As a note I have not bothered to check any setting's or anything that may alter or improve the Upconversion process of my A3.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhefer1 View Post
That's the most important ??

I think when dealing with upconversion, unless you own an XA2 or something = in design, you have to limit your expectations. You can't expect near HD quality all the time or even any of the time. Just expect a cleaner and sharper picture.

In any event, the A3 can be better than most current DVD upconverting players and at a firesale cost.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
I just hooked up my A3 stand alone also (I've been using the 360 add-on previously) and I have to say upconversion isn't quite all it's cracked up to be. For Underworld Evolution I didn't notice much of a difference, for a Dr Who DVD I popped in (The Tom Baker Episode Pyramids of Mars) the player threw up black bars on the side that cropped the image out of being widescreen, and some parts of Sunshine looked better while others looked worse as the upconversion showed grain that wasn't visible before being upscaled. So yeah, the image is a bit cleaner, but it's also worse in some ways from the few titles I've had the chance to compare....
My A2 isn't great when upconverting standard def either. That is what forced me to hunt down a XA2. Big difference!
Old 03-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Formerly peterhefer1

I just tried out Sin City Extended cut and it looked really good upconverted, there were one or two scenes which were showed a lack of detail, but on anything with a close up I would swear that it's was close to HD.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 PM

I have the HD-D3 (Sam's Club), and it doesn't do nearly as good a job of upconverting as my Pioneer DV-400V DVD player(ass kickin' little machine!) , which is fine with me, since I don't want to use my HD player for anything else but HD!!(stretch out it's life)