Best upconverted movies, Spirited Away? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-29-2008, 01:24 PM

Thumbs up Best upconverted movies, Spirited Away?

I know I saw this somewhere, but I can't find it so I post my own.

I'm specifically curious how the movie "Spirited Away" looks...and any other Miyazaki flick for that matter. Anyways, it's got to look better then anything playing on my 360 regular drive over component

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:32 PM

bad boys II looks high-definition.. it's even better than some HD movies I have seen
Old 02-29-2008, 01:46 PM

Arthur And The Invisibles
Old 02-29-2008, 02:06 PM

Spirited Away and the Miyazaki films only look ok. The animation is deliberately soft (esp. on edges) and the colors are on the pastel side of the spectrum, so the material isn't as suited for wowing people as you might hope.

Mononoke looks good, but not as great as you might hope. The color palette of the film is richer than most of the Miyazaki films (forest scenes, mostly), but it still doesn't compare to the Disney or Pixar films in terms of "wow, colors!"
Old 02-29-2008, 02:08 PM

You should see Samurai Champloo upscaled. Holy crap.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:14 PM

LOTR Triology
Old 02-29-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Spirited Away and the Miyazaki films only look ok. The animation is deliberately soft (esp. on edges) and the colors are on the pastel side of the spectrum, so the material isn't as suited for wowing people as you might hope.

Mononoke looks good, but not as great as you might hope. The color palette of the film is richer than most of the Miyazaki films (forest scenes, mostly), but it still doesn't compare to the Disney or Pixar films in terms of "wow, colors!"
Thanks! I just can't ever forgot how blown away I was when my friend invited me to see "some Japanese cartoon" at the local theater...It was like the first time I heard the Beatles (cliche but spot on). Needless to say I haven't seen it in a year at least and It is sitting in my cabinet. I will give it a try though .
Old 02-29-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Also, the DVD picture is windowed (black bars on all 4 sides) and has some edge enhancement problems.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Also, the DVD picture is windowed (black bars on all 4 sides) and has some edge enhancement problems.
The Region 2 releases are like that too (I have Mononoke and Sen to Chihiro both). The Region 1 release of Mononoke is not. I don't really understand why.

Even with the windowing, the Japanese releases are far superior to the American ones, at least with Mononoke (I don't have Sen to Chihiro's US release). The American release has a ton of compression and displays tons of artifacting during intense scenes (try the one where Ashitaka first learns of his demon arm capabilities, ~12 minutes in). There's also a lot of grain in the US release's picture.

Last edited by Aurora; 02-29-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
The Region 2 releases are like that too (I have Mononoke and Sen to Chihiro both). I don't really understand why.
It's Studio Ghibli's fault. They instructed that all worldwide releases of their films should be windowboxed. It's a stupid attitude held over from the days when all TVs had too much overscan.