Toshiba HD-A2 audio question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-12-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Toshiba HD-A2 audio question

I am just getting into HDTV. My current situation is I just bought a 1080p HDTV (Pioneer FHD1) and am getting the room ready before I get it set up. My current DVD player is an 8-year old Marantz. I am trying to decide if I should get a DVD-upconverter, an HD-DVD player (for a little more money), or just wait a while and get into HD-DVD or BD later as prices come down and new generations are available. Also, I am trying to learn/understand the more technical stuff- so that will be part of my question.

Robert Silva's review in About: Home Theater in about.com wrote the following:
"The elimination two key audio output options (5.1 Channel Analog, and Digital Coaxial) is a mistake, I believe, as it makes connections to AV receivers less flexible. Although you still have the ability to access Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound via the remaining Digital Optical output connection, unless you have an AV receiver with HDMI audio inputs and decoding, you won't be able to unleash the full audio potential of the new high-resolution audio formats that may be available on many HD-DVD discs, such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-HD."

I do not have an AV receiver with HDMI audio inputs yet and may not for a while ($$). So, how often do the HD-DVD discs have the new formats? Since I cannot take advantage of the audio does it still make sense to get an HD-DVD player now? I was looking at the Toshiba HD-A2. Does this make sense?

Also, can someone recommend a place to review the different audio formats and the outputs and inputs that are needed for each. I would like to better understand what audio inputs/audio outputs are used to support which sound type.