Error Code: 0x4094c202 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-31-2006, 03:30 PM

Default Error Code: 0x4094c202

I was going through my HD DVD's today, and I inserted "Rumor Has It" into my Toshiba HD-A1, and at first, it wouldn't read the disc. I reinserted the disc again, but after the FBI Warning, the disc spun for awhile and the error message, "Error Code: 0x4094c202" popped up. Since it's a HD/DVD combo disc, I tried the Standard Def side of the disc, and that worked, but not the HD side. I swore the disc worked perfectly before I upgraded the firmware to 2.0. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-31-2006, 05:25 PM

Check for scratches and finger prints. If neither of them are present, try re-booting your Toshiba.

When all else fails, don't hesitate to call Customer Support. They should be able to give you some estimation of what is going on (i.e. is it a problem with the firmware, or the disc).
Old 10-31-2006, 07:59 PM

The disc was perfectly fine (no scratches or fingerprints). I tried re-booting the disc, also. That didn't work. I tried rebooting the Toshiba itself (i.e. hold down the power button for a couple of seconds). Nothing.

Then I decided to go into the "setup" menu and tried "initializing" the Toshiba. Big mistake. After about 10 minutes of the front digital display illuminating the words "Setup", the player crashed on me (I've initialized the Toshiba once before when I first got it and had no problems), and the screen flashed green. And yes, there was NO disc inside when I tried initializing it. I tried rebooting the system again which resulted in the digital display on the front of the player displaying "welcome" and then "setup" -but alas, no startup image on my tv.

I figured it might be a resolution problem, so I disconnected the HDMI cable and tried connecting the Toshiba to my tv via composite. Still no picture, but a green flashy screen.

I had a Best Buy Performance Service Plan purchased when I got the player so I brought it back to Best Buy in hopes that they'd just let me exchange the player for a new one (EB Games did something similar when my Xbox 360 died so I figure it wouldn't hurt). Big mistake there, too. After watching the "Geek Squad" member fumble around with my player, trying to discern what was wrong (he got an error message when he tried a Standard Def DVD -he tested it with some "Barbie" DVD he had behind the counter -go figure... ), he told me that they were going to ship my Toshiba away to get repaired. The estimated date when I get the player back is Nov. 24.

Looking back, I should have just contacted Toshiba. But then again, I already spent the $$$ months ago on the Best Buy service plan... Yeah, I'm totally hating myself right now...

One question I do have that I hope someone can help me with is this: have you ever tried "initializing" the Toshiba from the "Setup" Menu AFTER you have installed a new firmware (i.e. firmware 2.0)?
Old 11-13-2006, 08:26 PM

I have had similar problems after updating to FW 2.0, I got the same error code as you, and SD DVDs worked fine, but HD DVDs wouldn't work. At which point I tried to initialize through the setup menu as you did and I got all kinds of problems. Then I kept getting a green screen, then switched from HDMI to Component, etc....

Anyway looks like I have tried all options I know so I am going to have to break down and call Toshiba.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:33 AM

Update 11-17-06

Best Buy called me last Fri. and told me that my Toshiba Hd-A1 was sent in for repairs, but they couldn't repair it so they told me to come in and they'd give me a new one.

So, I came in, BUT they were out of stock on the Toshiba HD-A1. They offered me the floor model, but I said that I'd prefer a new one. They checked most of the Chicagoland area Best Buys, and only one in the area had one in stock. So, they shuttled the new player in, and 4 days later I got a new one.

The new player had a manufacturing date of June 2006 and had firmware 1.3. Initially, I was just going to stick with 1.3, but I was reading on-line that the newer Universal discs (like King Kong) required FW 2.0 to run it. So I installed 2.0. Right now, everything seems to work fine, ALTHOUGH I'm VERY leary of having 2.0 installed.

As mentioned earlier, I had no problems running the combo HD DVD, "Rumor Has It", BEFORE I installed 2.0. I tried Rumor Has It with my new player which came factory-installed with 1.3. Disc worked smoothly, perfectly fine. And now with my new player with 2.0, it runs Rumor Has It, but it takes longer to load between the Fed Warning and the WB logo and before the movie.

I'm still kind of worried about having problems in the future with 2.0. I read on other sites, like AVS, that people "reflashed" 2.0 when they run into problems. What does that mean to "reflash 2.0"?
Old 11-17-2006, 05:30 PM

Reflash means simply to do the update again.

I installed the 2.0 firmware on the day I bought the unit. I have had really no problems and I have played close to everything out there, so I wouldn't worry about it.