HD DVD Player Advice? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Formerly candymangt

Default HD DVD Player Advice?

I'm trying to determine which HD-DVD player that I should purchase. I was thinking about the MS drive for the 360 due to cost, but I'm hearing about the drawbacks with sound quality and no HDMI. I wasn't going to jump on the HD-DVD bandwagon due to the fear that the format may not last, but it appears this past week there have been some news about some big releases coming, better HD-DVD support in the Hidef community, and there is an excellent catalogue of movies that I want on HD-DVD plus ones that are releasing in the near future.

I currently have a 50" Sammy DLP 1080P TV set with the Onkyo 604 that allows for lossless audio via HDMI. I can't afford the XA2, but I was looking at possibly getting the A2. I found it online for about $345. I know it doesn't do 1080P, but my TV can take a 1080i signal and upconvert it to 1080p.

I hear the A20 is coming in April that has 1080p, but were looking at $500-$600 easily. I already have a PS3 which I watch BD movies on via 1080P lossless audio.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:26 PM

both are exellent selection, i'd prefer standalone players since it uses my HDMI port and it has great upconversion capability for my huge collection of dvds.

if upconversion is nothing you need, the hd dvd add-on is the way to go, especially if you have a small budget.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymangt View Post
I'm trying to determine which HD-DVD player that I should purchase. I was thinking about the MS drive for the 360 due to cost, but I'm hearing about the drawbacks with sound quality and no HDMI. I wasn't going to jump on the HD-DVD bandwagon due to the fear that the format may not last, but it appears this past week there have been some news about some big releases coming, better HD-DVD support in the Hidef community, and there is an excellent catalogue of movies that I want on HD-DVD plus ones that are releasing in the near future.

I currently have a 50" Sammy DLP 1080P TV set with the Onkyo 604 that allows for lossless audio via HDMI. I can't afford the XA2, but I was looking at possibly getting the A2. I found it online for about $345. I know it doesn't do 1080P, but my TV can take a 1080i signal and upconvert it to 1080p.

I hear the A20 is coming in April that has 1080p, but were looking at $500-$600 easily. I already have a PS3 which I watch BD movies on via 1080P lossless audio.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
I got a used HD-A1 and 360 add-on if you are looking to jump in for cheap. Both great condition and the A1 has the 2.0 firmware.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=4224

The A1 can give you lossless audio through hdmi or analog, the 360 add-on is always going to be cheaper though.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Formerly candymangt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggytx View Post
I got a used HD-A1 and 360 add-on if you are looking to jump in for cheap. Both great condition and the A1 has the 2.0 firmware.

The A1 can give you lossless audio through hdmi or analog, the 360 add-on is always going to be cheaper though.
How come your getting rid of your A1?

I was thinking of going with the A20, but I really don't want to spend the $450-$500 since I can get the A2 at $345.

Do you know with DVD, how good does the picture look at 1080i compared to 1080p? Would I be missing much?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
How come your getting rid of your A1?

I was thinking of going with the A20, but I really don't want to spend the $450-$500 since I can get the A2 at $345.

Do you know with DVD, how good does the picture look at 1080i compared to 1080p? Would I be missing much?
I owned the A2 and got the A1 for a friend who backed out at the last minute. All three players (including the add-on) have looked impressive on my telivision (I have same exact TV as you). I do like the audio improvement and the use of hdmi with the stand alone players though over the 360 add-on. I'm not in a hurry to get rid of the add-on but if somebody buys it that would be good. The A1 just sits here all boxed up pretty.

I think the players with 720p/1080i playback look spectacular. If I had the money for an XA2 I would have gone with 1080p, but no complaints from the cheaper players.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Formerly candymangt

Quote:
I owned the A2 and got the A1 for a friend who backed out at the last minute. All three players (including the add-on) have looked impressive on my telivision (I have same exact TV as you). I do like the audio improvement and the use of hdmi with the stand alone players though over the 360 add-on. I'm not in a hurry to get rid of the add-on but if somebody buys it that would be good. The A1 just sits here all boxed up pretty.

I think the players with 720p/1080i playback look spectacular. If I had the money for an XA2 I would have gone with 1080p, but no complaints from the cheaper players.
I was thinking about that A20 that releases in April, but spending close to $500 is something I'm against right now. I've heard from a few people that the 1080i looks just as good as 1080p. Plus our Sammy's upconvert the signal to 1080p via Component and HDMI.

Is the A2 the cheapest at $345 that I'll find it on Amazon?

Have you had any issues with the A2 and should I buy a warranty?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I was thinking about that A20 that releases in April, but spending close to $500 is something I'm against right now. I've heard from a few people that the 1080i looks just as good as 1080p. Plus our Sammy's upconvert the signal to 1080p via Component and HDMI.

Is the A2 the cheapest at $345 that I'll find it on Amazon?

Have you had any issues with the A2 and should I buy a warranty?
I didn't buy a warranty just registered with Toshiba. It was difficult to get the updates but you can find help right here in this forum. Amazon is the cheapest I've found any player for both formats. And I agree with the 500 limit, that is the main reason I haven't stepped into both formats yet.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Formerly candymangt

Quote:
I didn't buy a warranty just registered with Toshiba. It was difficult to get the updates but you can find help right here in this forum. Amazon is the cheapest I've found any player for both formats. And I agree with the 500 limit, that is the main reason I haven't stepped into both formats yet.
There are a bunch of movies that are in the HD-DVD back catalogue that I want, but for upcoming releases I'm sold on the Good Sheppard and Smokin Aces. LOL!

Did you get your player off of Amazon, the A2?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 AM

Yes I did buy it on amazon. They shipped it over night when I was doing my free 1-month trial of Amazon Prime. I suggest signing up for that and you can get anything overnighted for 3.99 or 2 day for free.

And Smokin Aces (if you can't tell) is a title I am looking forward to as well; but I have close to ten already pre-ordered and there will be more after todays anouncement. Once you go into HD (HD DVD or BD) though, I promise you will buy more titles than you plan on.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Formerly candymangt

Quote:
Yes I did buy it on amazon. They shipped it over night when I was doing my free 1-month trial of Amazon Prime. I suggest signing up for that and you can get anything overnighted for 3.99 or 2 day for free.

And Smokin Aces (if you can't tell) is a title I am looking forward to as well; but I have close to ten already pre-ordered and there will be more after todays anouncement. Once you go into HD (HD DVD or BD) though, I promise you will buy more titles than you plan on.
I was a DVD nut before, but now I'm up to 15 BD movies currently. They just look so amazing, its rather hard going back to SD-DVD.

When you ordered from Amazon, which company was the dealer on there that you bought from?