A2 Audio Output Question - DD vs DTS - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2008, 12:06 PM

Default A2 Audio Output Question - DD vs DTS

I recently purchased an A2 to replace a failing DVD player and to have an HD player in my main TV room. I normally watch HD movies in another room from the 360 ad on.

Now, after hooking up the optical cable to my Pioneer reciever, I would not get sound from HD-DVD's, but I would from DVDs. After some research, the A2 outputs HD-DVD's audio in DTS 1.5 and my 8 old receiver only accepts DD. In the options, I can change to PCM, but that is only 2 channel. Is there any way to force it to output DD instead of DTS for HD-DVDs?

I don't think I can do it, but I have been planning on replacing the setup and use it as an excuse to get an Onkyo reciver.

FYI - I bought the A2 because it had an S-Video output. (yea, WTF!! ) That TV is not high def yet but I needed to replace the DVD player. Hence, the reason why I watch HD movies on my 360 set up. I just wanted to know if I need to replace my receiver as well as my TV.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 PM

Get an Onkyo. You can't really force the A2 to do something else. It can output whatever sound on HD DVDs to PCM 5.1, but your receiver will only accept PCM stereo.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:15 PM

Thanks, I thought so.

Right not it is mainly for playing DVDs because of the SDTV anyway. I also got it because of a lot of "do we have to watch this movie downstairs?" questions from my wife.

Can't wait for my tax rebate though
Old 02-06-2008, 02:19 PM

Actually, if you have your receiver set up via Optical cable, you can set SPDIF Out to bitstream and as long as the DVD has a DD track, you should be fine. Still, I recommend getting a new Onkyo.