Question regarding HD-XA2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-02-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Question regarding HD-XA2

I am thinking about buying this player. I allready have the addon. My question if I hook it up to my receiver via analog. My receiver is 7.1 but the analog on the HD-XA2 is 5.1 My question is will it still do 7.1 for the movies like LOTR that will come out in 7.1 or am I screwed and it will only do them at 5.1? Or Even 6.1?

Any help will be great.

Thank you.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:39 AM

You will get 5.1 with analog, unles you decide to split the surround channels on the hd dvd player into back and surround channels on your receiver.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:16 PM

Peteran is correct. Also keep in mind that there will likely be little difference in the 5.1 mix compared to the 7.1 mix (if that even happens) and that your receiver will likely do the matrixing for you. I am reluctant to endorse spliting the channels as this will weaken the signal. Your receiver will almost definatly produce a better result by matrixing the signal to 6.1 or 7.1.

If you have or plan on getting a HDMI receiver this is the best way and will produce the full 7.1 sound you are looking for. Also the A-2 which is half as much and the XA-2 will produce the same results audio wise via HDMI. The XA-2 adds the analog outs and better DVD upscaling. But the 400-500 bucks you save on the XA-2 could be used to get a new HDMI receiver. Things to keep in mind.

Last edited by Maxx_75; 03-03-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added info....
Old 03-03-2007, 08:20 PM

Thank you for the help.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
Peteran is correct. Also keep in mind that there will likely be little difference in the 5.1 mix compared to the 7.1 mix (if that even happens) and that your receiver will likely do the matrixing for you. I am reluctant to endorse spliting the channels as this will weaken the signal. Your receiver will almost definatly produce a better result by matrixing the signal to 6.1 or 7.1.
If he's using the 5.1 analog connection, his receiver won't be doing any matrixing. With that connection, all the receiver does is amplify the signal it's fed. It doesn't decode or process the signal at all.

One thing to clarify for the o/p is that he won't be losing any audio. When decoded to 5.1, the audio information from the back channel is shifted to the other surrounds. All the sounds will be there, just coming out of different speakers.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
If he's using the 5.1 analog connection, his receiver won't be doing any matrixing. With that connection, all the receiver does is amplify the signal it's fed. It doesn't decode or process the signal at all.

Heh, you are correct. I was so in deep thinking about how difference signal combos are dealt with that I forgot he was talking about the analog inputs. I myself am not of fan of the analog inputs. I even gave them up when I upgraded my A-1 to my A-2 even though I have yet to buy a HDMI receiver. They don't give me nearly the flexability and I don't get my pretty blue light. The 1.5 DTS from my A-2 and my PS3 still sounds amazing and a huge jump from anything DVD has to offer. I can wait until Sony releases an ES with HDMI 1.3 to upgrade. But as I said I thing that HDMI is the way to go. Very nice HDMI 1.2 receivers can be had for a few hundred bucks and still give you the full PCM audio experience. I just like to buy the upper line because I only want to replace it every 5-7 years and there are a freaking million wires going into the back it.