Questions about Dolby TrueHD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-02-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Questions about Dolby TrueHD

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about Dolby TrueHD, I have the Toshiba HD-A2 hooked up to the Onkyo TX-SR804, I'm using HDMI cable. My question is, does Dolby TrueHD only output 5.1 surround or 7.1? I have 2 surround back speakers hooked up but there's no sound coming from those back speakers.

By the way, I have Batman Begins and I found that TrueHD doesn't sound as good as Dolby Digital Plus, could it be because of my receiver or my Toshiba player? I'm still waiting for the firmware upgrade disk from Toshiba.

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:44 AM

As far as I know the TrueHD output depends on the number of channels the specific HD DVD's audio was mastered in. If the movie has a 5.1 soundtrack, the a2 will output 5.1, if the movie has a 7.1 soundtrack, it will output 7.1.

And as far as Batman Begins, I can't really give you a definite answer on that, because I always use the TrueHD track on that disk. But my guess would be the mastering on the disk itself (unless you have the same issue with other TrueHD/DD+ disks, in which case it's probably your player.)
Old 03-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattest30 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have some questions about Dolby TrueHD, I have the Toshiba HD-A2 hooked up to the Onkyo TX-SR804, I'm using HDMI cable. My question is, does Dolby TrueHD only output 5.1 surround or 7.1? I have 2 surround back speakers hooked up but there's no sound coming from those back speakers.

By the way, I have Batman Begins and I found that TrueHD doesn't sound as good as Dolby Digital Plus, could it be because of my receiver or my Toshiba player? I'm still waiting for the firmware upgrade disk from Toshiba.

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.
First, there has been only one soundtrack I have heard that was repurposed for 7.1. It is a Dts master audio lossless track and I cannot remember the movie right now.

Everything going to HD DVD via TrueHD is 5.1. You will not hear anything coming from your rear center speakers, because there is no signal that is decoded that feeds them. If I am not mistaken, the signal leaving the player is already decoded and transcoded to PCM via HDMI. It bypasses the decoding engine in the player as it already decoded and is fed directly to the amplification. So there is no way to decode a EX signal even if it existed. If you want the center rear speakers to play you must use the toslink connection which doesn't allow you to hear TrueHD.

Something funny is definately going on. When the two soundtracks (one lossy and the other lossless) come from the same master, the lossless should always sound better. It is much closer to the source than the lossy tracks are.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:00 PM

Thank you both.

I'm still waiting for that firmware disk from Toshiba, hopefully after the upgrade everything will sound much better.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:43 AM

If you receiver does PLIIx then you can drive sound to your SBL/R speakers. The audio of course will be the same as what is coming out of your SL/R speakers. But at least you get to use all of your speakers.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:36 AM

When I play dolby truehd through my toshiba hd-e1 I always get loads of noise through the center speaker at the back. This only happend since the firmware update. Before the update dolby plus was louder then true HD.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:41 PM

Is it true that all HD DVD's support TrueHD? I read on the True HD wiki and it stated that this was a requirement for all HD DVDs, but not sure if that's true.

Anyone able to confirm that?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
Is it true that all HD DVD's support TrueHD? I read on the True HD wiki and it stated that this was a requirement for all HD DVDs, but not sure if that's true.

Anyone able to confirm that?
The HD DVD spec requires that all HD DVD players must support TrueHD up to 2-channels. It is not required for discs to offer a TrueHD soundtrack (and most don't).

All of the current Toshiba HD DVD players will decode TrueHD 5.1. The LG combi player only supports 2.0 decoding.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:41 PM

Ok.....I have the A2 and Pioneer Elite 7.1 system and in regards to Dolby TrueHD tracks, what should the A2 player be set at in order to get the proper signal passing through to my amp??? Should HDMI be set at Auto or PCM?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingproof73 View Post
Ok.....I have the A2 and Pioneer Elite 7.1 system and in regards to Dolby TrueHD tracks, what should the A2 player be set at in order to get the proper signal passing through to my amp??? Should HDMI be set at Auto or PCM?
Since no receiver at this time can accept a bit stream TrueHD signal, you have to set the A2 for PCM.