Dead A3? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-31-2008, 02:17 AM

Default Dead A3?

I have had my HD A3 since the first week of December. The day I installed it, I upgraded the firmware to 2.7 via CD. It has worked fine from day one. The last movie I watched on it was last night-The Bourne Ultimatum. I was kind of worried that I would have a freeze-up with that disc as many people have reported. However, it played all the way through.

This evening, the wife and I attended Houston Grand Opera's production of The Abduction From the Seraglio. I looked through the selection of DVDs in the opera boutique, and decided to purchase the HD DVD of Die Fledermaus. When we got home, I loaded that disc, and got an error message-408bc00d. I assumed it must be a faulty disc. I took out that disc, and put in the SD DVD of El Cid, which had arrived that day from Amazon. Disc played fine.

I then decided to see if I was having any problems with any other HD DVDs. So, I tried a few and none of them will play now. I just get a message that says NOT PLAY. So, it looks to me as if the player has given up the ghost. Now it will not even play SD DVDs. I am calling Toshiba tomorrow, as it looks like this player is a goner. I just wanted to see if anyone else has gone through a similar experience with one of these players.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:06 AM

Delete all used blocks of persistent memory (see the manual for instructions) before giving up.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:30 PM

Well, it is apparently dead, or at least in critical condition. Toshiba wants me to send it in for repairs.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire IX View Post
Well, it is apparently dead, or at least in critical condition. Toshiba wants me to send it in for repairs.
Just for kicks, unplug the player and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then plug it back in and see if it will play anything.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 AM

I tried unplugging it overnight. When I turn it on, I get a brief flash of the HD DVD logo. The display on the player reads "Setup", but nothing happens, and I cannot actually enter the setp screen. If I put in a disc, I get the "Not Play" message. Toshiba had me try all that, and said it's gotta be sent back.