Dual Format PCs - a future for HD DVD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2008, 06:19 PM

Default Dual Format PCs - a future for HD DVD?

Is this the future of HD DVD?

Yahoo - Gateway Launches First Dual HD DVD/Blu-ray PCs

Quote:
Is the high-def optical format war over? If you've already invested in HD DVD technology or media, you may not be relishing the inexorable move to Blu-ray. Good news, then: Gateway has a computer for you. Its GM5664 desktop PC will be the first on the market that I've seen that will include a hybrid optical drive capable of playing both HD DVD and Blu-ray DVDs.

The new system includes a Hybrid-SuperMulti drive that can only play high-def formats; it won't write to either format.
Crave - Gateway adds Blu-ray/HD DVD combo drives, new eMachines desktops

Quote:
The most interesting component ... is the hybrid Blu-ray/HD DVD drive coming to Gateway's new, retail-only GM5664 desktop. The system includes a quad core AMD Phenom 9600 CPU, a 1TB hard drive, and a 256MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT graphics card for $1,150. That's not a bad configuration for the price, especially the hard drive. However, if it's the Blu-ray and HD DVD playback you're after, the $949 HP Pavilion SlimLine s3330f has a better price and a more living room-friendly chassis
I have long thought that dual format players might end up being the future.

It seems to me that if a number of PC manufacturers can do this, why can't more than just the Samsung's, LG's and Panasonic's of this world release affordable standalone dual format players?

I wonder if Toshiba were to reduce its loyalty charges, would more Blu manufacturers support HD DVD as well?

Last edited by monsieurgadget; 01-30-2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Added more links and a quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:35 PM

Bestbuy has the Gateway GM5664 for $1,149.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1195599475576
Quote:
Product Features
AMD Phenom™ quad-core processor 9600* with true multicore processing for extreme multitasking performance; Cool'n'Quiet™ 2.0 technology for efficient energy usage; HyperTransport™ 3.0 technology to improve 3D graphics performance

3GB PC2-5300 DDR2 memory for multitasking power, expandable to 4GB

High-definition hybrid DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with read support for next-generation HD DVD-ROM and Blu-ray Disc formats; double-layer support using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM

AMD LIVE! Smarter Digital Entertainment for all the screens of your digital life; you can manage, access, distribute, share and enjoy your digital content collection from virtually anywhere

Direct Connect Architecture to deliver overall system performance; AMD Wide Floating Point Accelerator and AMD Digital Media Xpress™ 2.0 for improved digital media and 3D gaming and graphics

AMD Memory Optimizer Technology for multithreaded software performance, and AMD Virtualization with Rapid Virtualization Indexing to help virtualization software run securely and efficiently

2MB L3 cache memory for efficient system processing; AMD Balanced Smart Cache for a smooth multitasking and multithreaded experience

1TB Serial ATA II hard drive capacity (2 x 500GB) with 16MB cache (7200 rpm); Gateway Portable Media Drive bay lets you easily add a second removable hard drive (Portable Media Drive not included)

ATI Radeon HD 2400XT graphics with 256MB discrete video memory and DirectX 10 support; high-definition audio (8-channel support); DVI and S-video outputs

Analog/digital TV tuner with 3D comb filter and PVR (personal video recorder); Vista media center remote

High-performance 15-in-1 digital media card reader supports CompactFlash Type I/II, Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Plus, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo
Also supports SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card and Microdrive; supports mini Secure Digital, Reduced Size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC) and MultiMediaCard Mobile with optional adapter (not included)

6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports, both front and rear accessible, for fast digital transfer and easy connection of peripherals

Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet with RJ-45 connector; V.92 data/fax modem

Wireless multimedia keyboard, wireless USB optical 2-button wheel mouse and external USB speakers

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Money Essentials, Adobe Reader, Gateway BigFix and more

Learn more about Windows Vista

AMD, AMD Arrow logo, AMD Phenom, Cool'n'Quiet, HyperTransport and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

*Model number indicates relative software performance among this AMD processor family.
Premium system design with a carbon-fiber faceplate for a stylish look
Old 01-31-2008, 10:18 AM

Now if only I could get a cheap, slim, laptop sized Super Multi Drive for my HTPC, I could sell my XBox 360 add on (which is relatively loud and doesn't output TrueHD).
Old 02-01-2008, 10:39 AM

With Acer's purchase of Gateway and Packard Bell, combined with Toshiba's laptops, those four combined guarantee that there will be a healthy market share for HD DVD drives in PCs and laptops, even if they are dual drives in some cases.

Many PC vendors seem to be going with the LG dual drive now. I guess that this will start to drive down the prices of dual format standalone players too.