a30 with a receiver that does not decode hd audio - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2008, 02:32 AM
Formerly wildturkishdude

Default a30 with a receiver that does not decode hd audio

i am planning on buying an a30 to have better audio from what i get on the xbox hd-dvd player.. i heard that the a30 can output the audio as a lossless format? i forgot what it's called but i'm not talking about dts hd or dd hd.. could anyone help me about this please?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:49 AM

The A3 & A30 have the same audio capabilities: They can decode Dolby Digital Plus (lossy) and Dolby TrueHD (lossless) and can output that as PCM in full resolution only via HDMI to a receiver with HDMI audio. These players also have digital optical (aka Toslink) audio output, but optical does not have the bandwidth to support lossless audio.

The A35 adds two audio options: 1) 5.1 analog outputs. Analog outputs do have the bandwidth necessary for lossless audio, so this is a great option to enjoy lossless with older receivers. 2) Bitstream lossless via HDMI - this enables the newer receivers with HDMI 1.3 & TrueHD decoding to receive the original compressed lossless audio on the disk and decode it; many audiophiles feel the receiver does a better job of decoding & processing the audio.