Need Help With Buying Hd-xa2 , How Much?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-29-2008, 09:02 PM

Update...figures I went back and they said they gave me the wrong price(hate B. Buy!), but I still took it.....It was in a magnolia display case, brand new...If I don't keep it may put it up on here for sale/trade..... not sure..so that;s that/// Thanks everyone who chimed in!

I WAS GOING TO JUST BUY AN HD-A35 SINCE THERE LIKE $236 SHIPPED ON amAZON....

My question is I can get a store demo at best buy that looks like it has been there a while becuase it has just been colllecting dust!! (And it was full of dust!) no box, manual....... Player and remote, they had it still for $499 in there system.... After a little back and forth, they said take it for $199.00 w/ 30 day return ..I tried it, played it and went through all menus... works fine..

Now For $199 or should i get a "NEW" hd-a35 which seems to go down in price every week? Would love eveyones opinion?? Is it even worth $199.00? THANKS EVERYONE!!!!! SEEMS like some people on here really know the hd-xa2 and doing a price search on the net there like $400-500? WHY?

THANKS!

Last edited by misel00; 02-16-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 PM

Keep the XA2 and that is a great price. Best upconverting DVD player on the market, and does not have the de-interlacing problems of the third gen toshiba hd dvd players. Make sure that you load the latest firmware update though.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarman17 View Post
Keep the XA2 and that is a great price. Best upconverting DVD player on the market, and does not have the de-interlacing problems of the third gen toshiba hd dvd players. Make sure that you load the latest firmware update though.
when you say de-interlacing probs...how will that effect me i have a very good 55' sony hdtv but it's only 1080i .........I appreciate your help...

The main reason I just sold one o fmy 2 hd-a2;s on here was to be able to get analog 5.1 outs so i can use my nice yamaha receiver and not have to spend $400 on an onkyo 605... It sounds great but I want that true lossless sound! so this seems like the best option?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misel00 View Post
I WAS GOING TO JUST BUY AN HD-A35 SINCE THERE LIKE $236 SHIPPED ON amAZON....

My question is I can get a store demo at best buy that looks like it has been there a while becuase it has just been colllecting dust!! (And it was full of dust!) no box, manual....... Player and remote, they had it still for $499 in there system.... After a little back and forth, they said take it for $199.00 w/ 30 day return ..I tried it, played it and went through all menus... works fine..

Now For $199 or should i get a "NEW" hd-a35 which seems to go down in price every week? Would love eveyones opinion?? Is it even worth $199.00? THANKS EVERYONE!!!!! SEEMS like some people on here really know the hd-xa2 and doing a price search on the net there like $400-500? WHY?

THANKS!
I got one of these on clearance at BB also. Got it for $200 as well. Awesome machine. If you really want to know why it is still so expensive-toss Gladiator or some other DVD movies in it. You can tell that it is not HD DVD but I bet your wife or girlfriend can't. It is the closest thing to HD without having to purchase your whole library.

Also it seems to decode the sound codecs better if you are running PCM off of the XA2. I am very happy with this machine. If you don't think it is worth the money you could always sell it on ebay and get about $350 for it.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
when you say de-interlacing probs...how will that effect me i have a very good 55' sony hdtv but it's only 1080i .........I appreciate your help...

The main reason I just sold one o fmy 2 hd-a2;s on here was to be able to get analog 5.1 outs so i can use my nice yamaha receiver and not have to spend $400 on an onkyo 605... It sounds great but I want that true lossless sound! so this seems like the best option?

It is the best option. Also if you ever update your TV in the next couple of years you can really take advantage of the 1080p/24fps.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:

Then the de-interlacing issues with the A30 and A35 from 1080i to 1080P are irrelevant. I would still recommend keeping it for upconverting of standard DVDs, and in case you upgrade to 1080P/60 or 1080P/24 then you will see a difference. As the other poster said, though, you can re-sell for more than the $200 you are paying on craigslist or ebay.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty HD View Post
I got one of these on clearance at BB also. Got it for $200 as well. Awesome machine. If you really want to know why it is still so expensive-toss Gladiator or some other DVD movies in it. You can tell that it is not HD DVD but I bet your wife or girlfriend can't. It is the closest thing to HD without having to purchase your whole library.

Also it seems to decode the sound codecs better if you are running PCM off of the XA2. I am very happy with this machine. If you don't think it is worth the money you could always sell it on ebay and get about $350 for it.
I'm not planning on getting a new reciever any time soon, so the 5.1 analogs are what I'm really after.... It should sound the same as the hdmi as far as lossless.. also, can i download the instruction manual pdf from Toshiba? what is the current firmware for the xa2? Just thought i'd ask, since you have one!
at first they wanted $299 for it and I sai dno, the hd-a35 w/ 7 free is going for $250 , they have it for MSRP 299.... then they said lowest they waould go is 199 but there is no box, just the player , remote....period... and 30 days to bring it back in case it has problems, but seemed to work fine at teh store..Still think it's a go? or not mess with it just pick up new a35 for like $236 at amazon....or is that REON chip on the xa2 that great?? Thanks again
Old 01-30-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
I'm not planning on getting a new reciever any time soon, so the 5.1 analogs are what I'm really after.... It should sound the same as the hdmi as far as lossless.. also, can i download the instruction manual pdf from Toshiba? what is the current firmware for the xa2? Just thought i'd ask, since you have one!
at first they wanted $299 for it and I sai dno, the hd-a35 w/ 7 free is going for $250 , they have it for MSRP 299.... then they said lowest they waould go is 199 but there is no box, just the player , remote....period... and 30 days to bring it back in case it has problems, but seemed to work fine at teh store..Still think it's a go? or not mess with it just pick up new a35 for like $236 at amazon....or is that REON chip on the xa2 that great?? Thanks again
You need to have your head examined by a state board certified psychiatrist if you turn down that deal. Gawd, almighty man! Does a lightning bolt need to come down from the sky and jolt you? The XA2 is the best HD SA DVD player ever made in it's price class. Where is this freaking store, I'll buy the XA2 in the morning if it's within driving distance of my home.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navarone View Post
You need to have your head examined by a state board certified psychiatrist if you turn down that deal. Gawd, almighty man! Does a lightning bolt need to come down from the sky and jolt you? The XA2 is the best HD SA DVD player ever made in it's price class. Where is this freaking store, I'll buy the XA2 in the morning if it's within driving distance of my home.
ok...Sounds like your 110% for it over the new hd-a3.......Thanks!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:15 AM

get the XA2 are dont be crazy. its the best HD DVD player there is and for 199.99 I would drive a state over to get that.