Universal HD DVD disc quality problems - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 AM

Default Universal HD DVD disc quality problems

I've recently been seeing quality problems with Universal HD DVDs, specifically, with 12 Monkeys and Serenity. I first bought Serenity from Amazon 2 weeks ago; when I opened it, there were severe gouges on the disc. I bought the movie directly from Amazon (not a third party), it was sealed properly and the disc wasn't loose. I got a replacement, but this time, there were glue "splotches" on the central hub of the disc, indicating delamination. This disc was also properly packaged. Then, there's 12 Monkeys, which had minor scratches on the disc right after opening it, causing some skipping. Again, packaging fine, and no loose disc. I've read about problems with the Battlestar Galactica set as well. The point is,this is completely unacceptable, especially when paying about 20$ per movie. This is one of the most pathetic displays of quality control (or lack of) that I've ever seen. If anyone else has had HD DVD disc quality problems (especially with Universal discs), could you please share your experiences.

Last edited by appledelhi; 01-27-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Banned

It happens to all dvd's from time to time, I have seen no problems at all and I haven't heard of alot of problems either. I own alot of Uni titles and have not had a problem. I really think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill but I guess that is your perspective.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:19 AM

all my universal discs are flawless including Serenity and 12 monkeys. It could just be a case of bad luck. I did however recieve a bad batch of Battlestar discs through netflix. Whether Universal or Netflix is to blame thought I'm not sure.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:38 AM

I'm curious to know if either of you own any HD DVDs (Uni or not) that have the glue stains on the center hub (would be on disc bottom) , and how many HD DVDs you ordered from Amazon (maybe they're getting bad batches).

Last edited by appledelhi; 01-27-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:53 PM

My copy of Smokin Aces wouldn't play all the way through. Would get an error message about 2/3 of the way through. Tried contacting Universal about a replacement disc after reading this thread:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=7014
Never got a single response.

Basically it seems they can't produce dual sided disc without making a bunch of coasters. Haven't had any issues with single sided disc though.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:40 AM

The Combo Discs for the Star Trek TOS Season 1 HD-DVD set wouldn't play in my player. That's why I gave it back the first time. I might buy the set again in a few months when I have money again and try them out with this new firmware update for samsung now. But in the meantime I'll just wait it out and see what this 2nd machine I've got will do or will not do. It's real funny too because maybe if I knew that firmware was coming really soon after I would've kept the first machine but it was really lookin bad with this set. I sold it on ebay (the dvd set) but now I got another BD-UP5000 and so far it's okay. I played Old School and Transformers on it. So far so good.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
My copy of Smokin Aces wouldn't play all the way through. Would get an error message about 2/3 of the way through. Tried contacting Universal about a replacement disc after reading this thread:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=7014
Never got a single response.
Did you see the new contact info I posted there? I'm waiting for the mailer to arrive to send Children of Men back, but I've gotten 2 responses to my problem.