Question about TVs? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-26-2008, 09:57 PM

Default Question about TVs?

This is the TV i have now.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5774353

This TV will be $619 at Kmart tomorrow.
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...&sName=LCD+TVs

This TV is $769 at kmart and I get 10% off there.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5684931

So I was wondering which one do you guys think is better.

I didnt want to spend anymore than $750 on a TV( I want to put more money in my Camaro) . 1080i is ok with me.

Thanks for any advice.

Also recommend any TV from Kmart or Walmart I get a discount at both

My HD DVD is a HD A2 so that swhy 1080i is ok. I doubt ill be getting a new player anytime soon.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:08 PM

6 of this.. half a dozen of that..
Vizeo looks nicer.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:21 PM

The Vizio is good. My parents bought that model and it looks good. I may go to CC and get them an HD DVD player for it. I would have to also get them a Netflix account since they only rent. I have a different 42" model in my bedroom and have been very pleased with it. I bought an A3 for that one.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:04 AM

I was thinking of going with the Vizio.
My friend got one for her HD A3 and Xbox 360 and its very nice.
Thanks

Any more thoughts?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:49 AM

I prefer samsung tvs overall, so here I'll make a suggestion:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail
Old 01-27-2008, 11:58 AM

I love Samsung TVs also. BB had a nice one hooked up to a BD player and it looked GREAT. I was like 2000 dollars so im not getting that anytime soon, maybe once i pay off my car and im done with it.

I have a 26" and I wanted something bigger.
Plus I get a discount at Kmart and Walmart.... I gotta save money were i can when i make what i do
Old 01-27-2008, 01:17 PM

I worked at BB when I was selling HT, so I don't really know Vizio or Olevia. When cost and size are you two biggest concerns, then to choose between any two similar sets, try to get a comparison in real life of how they look with the same type of content. Play with the remote's to change the picture settings to make them as good looking as possible (sharpness setting down to ~25%, Brightness setting down as low as possible while still getting fresh whites, Contrast setting ~75%). After playing with both, see which gets the darker blacks and which has the best percieved contrast.

The only time you will ever really be upset by your TV's picture quality is when the lights are out and you're trying to watch a film with a dark scene and you TV is still lighting up your whole room when the screen should be black. And when you're playing COD4 online, the better contrast is going to help you see distant enemies before they see you.

Ignore the numbers and the Cnet reviews, get what looks best to you in real life. And if they look EXACTLY the same in PQ, go with either the cheaper one, or the one with the better looking chasis.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:57 PM

"The only time you will ever really be upset by your TV's picture quality is when the lights are out and you're trying to watch a film with a dark scene and you TV is still lighting up your whole room when the screen should be black."

That's when I got upset alright. It's silly when you see people arguing about blue ray vs red ray when the displays just crush the blacks (unless you got a 100 pound CRT), the current display technology just does not seem up to what the hd formats deliver, color wise anyway.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman342 View Post
"The only time you will ever really be upset by your TV's picture quality is when the lights are out and you're trying to watch a film with a dark scene and you TV is still lighting up your whole room when the screen should be black."

That's when I got upset alright. It's silly when you see people arguing about blue ray vs red ray when the displays just crush the blacks (unless you got a 100 pound CRT), the current display technology just does not seem up to what the hd formats deliver, color wise anyway.
Get a pioneer kuro 5080 and then come talk to me about a lack of TV tech.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 PM

"Get a pioneer kuro 5080 and then come talk to me about a lack of TV tech."

The Pioneer Kuro 5080 sounds like a good set for avoiding crushed blacks, but it is out of the price range the orignal poster was talking about and the 1080p version is far outside of my price range.
Call me a commie, but I think non-crushing black display technology should be affordable to average person if HD is to go mainstream. Maybe one day something like the Pioneer Kuro 5080 will be affordable but plasma displays do not seem to drop in price much.