XA2 Owners: Do you use it, Upconverting DVD's? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Upconverting
Yes, it's THE reason why I picked it up. 21 80.77%
Like you, Rarely. 5 19.23%
DV...what? LOL No, only HD DVD's. 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2008, 09:57 PM

Default XA2 Owners: Do you use it, Upconverting DVD's?

One of the reasons why I sold my Toshiba HD-A1 and upgraded HD-XA2 was because its one of the best Upconverting players out there.

After a few months owning it, I ended up selling my entire DVD collection and went Purple. <:-| I probably only used it <20 hours Upconverting DVD's (when I can't rent it on High-Def) since I picked it up back in March.

No regrets because the XA2's Built/Playback Quality is up there with Sony's PlayStation 3.

So do you use your XA2 to Upconvert DVD's?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:41 PM

Default XA2 Upconverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bembol View Post
One of the reasons why I sold my Toshiba HD-A1 and upgraded HD-XA2 was because its one of the best Upconverting players out there.

After a few months owning it, I ended up selling my entire DVD collection and went Purple. <:-| I probably only used it <20 hours Upconverting DVD's (when I can't rent it on High-Def) since I picked it up back in March.

No regrets because the XA2's Built/Playback Quality is up there with Sony's PlayStation 3.

So do you use your XA2 to Upconvert DVD's?
When I upgraded from my A1 to the XA2 I was wondering whether there would be enough of a difference to justify the price.It is without a doubt the best upconverter I have ever seen and the quality of the HD video and audio blows the doors off of my Panasonic DMP BD-10.I went purple for exactly the reasons we now see in the HD market place.I will not regret the purchase of either of these units as they both give me a lot of enjoyment watching Hi Def movies, that being said the Toshiba is really the far superior unit all the way around.
No comparison on the upconversion whatsoever.The HD picture contains a warmth that is hard to describe compared to the BD.Both have clear picture and sound but the warmth is amazing.
I plan on using HD DVD whenever I get the chance and hopefully the better technology with the more consumer friendly price will grow.Setbacks are natural and hopefully that Paramount list of upcoming releases is legit, because the XA2 is worth every penny and everything looks glorious,even SD .
Old 01-25-2008, 09:37 AM

I bought it for HD DVD playback but SD upconversion was a factor
in my purchase because I own many regular dvd's.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:40 AM

What is your current set-up? Do you have a 1080p display? If not, does an xa2's upconversion of standard def compare with the blu-ray HD video presentation? I have a PS3, XA1, and 720p display, and am not impressed with the video quality of Blu-ray on my current set-up.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 AM

I picked one these as an open box at BB. $200. I have used it to upconvert Gladiator recently on my Sony 60-A3000. Close up shots look absolutely amazing. Almost as good as BD or HD. Far away shots are not quite as good but still much better than my Panny or PS3 when it comes to upconverting.

My wife saw Moulan Rouge upconverted and she thought it was HD. It is really hard to tell the difference sometimes. When you put in a good reference quality HD or BD the upconvert cannot hold its own. I have hundreds of movies and i will not be upgrading all of them because of this player. If the flick gets 3 stars or under on video review I don't see the point of upgrading as I think that this player can preform just as well.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:50 AM

Default XA2 upconversion VS BD video

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABY POWDER View Post
What is your current set-up? Do you have a 1080p display? If not, does an xa2's upconversion of standard def compare with the blu-ray HD video presentation? I have a PS3, XA1, and 720p display, and am not impressed with the video quality of Blu-ray on my current set-up.
The upconversion of SD by the XA2 is amazing but lets be real here, the BD video presentation can in and of itself be quite amazing depending on the disc, they have put out some impressive stuff lately.
Your SD discs will never have looked better than on the XA2.I watched some of Seinfeld Season 8 last night and it was really clean.
I am running 1080p on Sony SXRD 60".XA2 as well as BDMP BD10 from Panasonic and Denon 4308 A/V reciever.BIC America speakers all around with double 10" subs.
SD on the BD is lousy and I never use it for that because of it.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:14 AM

Upscaling is one of the reasons I got the XE-1 (Euro-XA2). Good SDs look simply amazing on it. I watched Kill Bill I on it recently and was blown away. I own 350+ SDs and I can't see myself replacing them with BDs/HDs anytime soon. Upscaling can't compare to a good Hi-Def disc, but as a way of squeezing the most out of those ol' SDs, it's great.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:06 PM

i use it all the time to watch mythbusters and my bowling dvds. looks awesome
Old 01-25-2008, 04:38 PM

Why does it cost $850 all of a sudden? And it's been taken off of Circuit City and Best Buy's websites? What happened, I thought a week ago the XA2 was around $500. Does anybody know what's happening here?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:28 PM

Main reason I got my XA2 -> Upconverting SD DVD's