Toshiba Australia at last - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-21-2008, 10:35 PM

Default Toshiba Australia at last

Toshiba Australia has at last dropped its HD DVD players prices!

" Big Price Cuts For HD DVD

By Sarah Falson | Tuesday | 22/01/2008
Toshiba (Australia) Pty Ltd Information Systems Division (ISD) today announced it would slash the price of its HD DVD players dramatically and also add free HD DVD movies for customers who purchase one of the players in an attempt to ramp up HD DVD uptake in a market dominated by the rival Blu-ray standard.

The initiatives follow a hard time for the consumer electronics manufacturer at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in the US, which was dominated by big players in Blu-ray including Sony and Panasonic.

The biggest price cut is of the high-end HD-XE1 which has been brought down by over $500.

The new prices are as follows:

• HD-E1: $299 with one title inbox plus three titles via redemption (originally $899 and then $499)

• HD-EP10: $399 with one title inbox plus five titles via redemption (originally $1,099 and then $699)

• HD-XE1: $599 with one title inbox plus ten titles via redemption (originally $1,599 and then $1,299)

The brand will also implement joint promotional activity with major movies studios that support the HD DVD format.

Consumers who purchase a Toshiba HD DVD player from January 23, 2008 will also gain bonus movie titles."

Its about time!!!!

And with the 40Gb Playstation 3 selling at $699 retail its a huge drop for us, if you want HD DVD, as ive seen some blu ray stand alone players at the $700 price tag aswell (1.0).

Just hope the prices of the movies comes down in the retail shops $30-40 a movie, some older titles at the $25. (best value at the moment is to order overseas at Amazon US for us Aussies, cheaper movies and bigger range)

Last edited by jalaru; 01-22-2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: needed a link
Old 01-22-2008, 08:30 AM

So that's about £130 (about the same as the UK), not bad, I thought you were always ripped off over there?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Damn, and I thought our prices were bad on things.

You guys needed a big price break.

Maybe with price cuts like these, we'll be seeing a bigger boost in sales?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:34 AM

woo-hoo!!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:15 AM

Great news I have a A2 and a A30 from the US and today I picked up the EP10.

On another note, Blu-Ray leads sales in Australia 95 to 5. So the chance of HD DVD winning here is very very very slim.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 AM

I'll try and grab an XE1 tomorrow
Old 01-23-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzi View Post

On another note, Blu-Ray leads sales in Australia 95 to 5. So the chance of HD DVD winning here is very very very slim.
Yah, but as we know, it doesn't matter who 'wins' here. Its what happens in the US and Europe that will decide who we are all forced to adopt here in Australia. I have an XE1. Which I paid $1299 for about 8 months ago. With 2 free HD-DVD's from memory. Those prices now with the 10 HD-DVDs are absolute bargains...
Old 01-24-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzi View Post

Yeah i read somewhere that the blu rays sales are 95% in australia but only something like 5% standalone players so its only doing well because on the PS3 no ones really buying the players, so with the lower hd dvd players we might see a slight change, but the movies are still way to pricey in the shops.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Default 97% of Blu-ray Sales due to PS3

The original article (sorry cant link yet, not enough posts lol )

This is for Australian PS3 Sales

"97% Of Blu-ray Sales Due To PS3

By David Richards | Tuesday | 22/01/2008
The Blu-ray Sony PS3 and the HD DVD Xbox 360 attachment have done more to grow the high definition DVD market than any other devices claims a leading research company. Alone the PS3 is accounting for 97% of all Blu-ray device sales.

Gaming hardware is driving the adoption of both Blu-ray and HD DVD, according to new research from DisplaySearch.

According to "Quarterly Global Next Generation DVD and Game Platform Hardware Shipment and Forecast Report," high-definition DVD gaming hardware—Sony's PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360's external HD DVD drive—had revenue growth of more than three times that of standalone players from the second to third quarters of 2007.

"Due to consumer price sensitivity and satisfaction with regular DVD the substantial growth needed for Next Generation DVD to grow beyond a niche market dominated by consoles will require time, persistence, and aggressive pricing," says Paul Erickson, director of DVD and HD Market Research at DisplaySearch.

Overall, game console-related hardware made up 85 percent of global next-gen DVD shipments during Q1-Q3 ‘07, with North America accounting for 80 percent of total next-gen DVD shipments (including gaming hardware).

Not surprisingly, Sony dominated the total Blu-ray market, with 97 percent worldwide share thanks to the PlayStation 3. "It's played a very important role," Andy Parsons, chair of the U.S. promotion committee for the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), told me at CES.

"That's certainly been a foundation of the Blu-ray format."

In terms of standalone players—not including the PS3—Toshiba accounted for nearly 64 percent more than all available Blu-ray brands combined between Q1 and Q3 '07.

Between Sony, Toshiba and Microsoft, which manufactures the external HD DVD drive for the Xbox 360, these three companies accounted for 98 percent of global next-gen DVD hardware.

"The market for Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD continues to grow, but our research continues to indicate that this market will face challenges not only in capturing mainstream sales, but also in expanding beyond a hardware ecosystem dominated by primarily only three companies," says Erickson.

"This is expected to be a dynamic that will persist regardless of whether the market consolidates around a single format, or continues onward with the status quo."

Of course, all of this information looks at a time period before Warner Bros., the largest studio supporting both formats, decided to side solely with Blu-ray.

Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits (via Jake West) points to new NPD Group data that shows that, since the Warner announcement, Blu-ray hardware sales—even without counting the PS3—have dominated HD DVD sales."

smarthouse.com.au

Last edited by jalaru; 01-24-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: forgot the title
Old 01-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Formerly wildturkishdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqwid View Post
Damn, and I thought our prices were bad on things.

You guys needed a big price break.

Maybe with price cuts like these, we'll be seeing a bigger boost in sales?
i believe those prices are australian dollars..