USB port on front for...? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-21-2008, 02:02 PM

Default USB port on front for...?

Sorry if this has been discussed many times before, but I did a search on "usb" and found nothing.

On the front of the A3, there is a non-functional usb port. It does have power to it, as I stuck my usb key into the port and it lights up, but doesn't do anything. Is there any word on what Toshiba is planning with this port? I guess my main thought was that it would be for some sort of storage, such as for downloaded content. Is this part of their scheme of getting as many players out as possible? Or is there no word on any possible uses as of now?
Old 01-21-2008, 02:57 PM

Maybe it can be used to port over firmware updates (without using the network port or burning a CD)?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:28 PM

I never seen anything said by Toshiba or an HD DVD "Insider", just speculation. Supporting a USB "thumb drive" or other external hard drive would seem to be easy to do with a firmware update, and every Toshiba HD DVD player has the USB port. In additional to being able to play DVD, CD & HD DVD, it could also be an excellent player for downloaded content. Microsoft should open up Xbox Live for Toshiba players.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:48 PM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...19&postcount=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachgod
I called Toshiba yesterday and they told me the ports are for hooking up usb game controllers to play games on the disks. Has anyone found any games on the movies yet? Maybe we could make a list of which movies have games on them or links to internet games, and another list of compatible usb controllers.
Also from the RCA HDV5000 Spec Sheet - HDV5000
http://support.rcaaudiovideo.com/manual.aspx?product=83
Quote:
Dual Front Panel USB Game Controller Ports
and the Toshiba HD-A1 Manual
http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...hd-a1_om_e.pdf
Quote:
Depending on the features of the disc you are using, you may be able to connect USB game controllers to the Extension ports to use some interactive features. Additional features may be supported in the future.
but I don't think they were ever enabled
Old 01-21-2008, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for something more, hoping that there may be more of a "trojan horse" set up in the Toshiba players, but alas... probably not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY-HD-DVD View Post
but I don't think they were ever enabled
Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 PM

I think they'll be enabled on a future firmware update to allow additional persistent storage using an external hard drive. Also keep in mind that there really isn't anything keeping HD DVD players from being used as a way for digital downloads (Toshiba would just need to write the firmware for it).
Old 01-21-2008, 10:36 PM

You could hook up your i pod or mp3 player to it also.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
I think they'll be enabled on a future firmware update to allow additional persistent storage using an external hard drive. Also keep in mind that there really isn't anything keeping HD DVD players from being used as a way for digital downloads (Toshiba would just need to write the firmware for it).
With the higher Persistent Storage available for Profile 1.1 and 2.0 on Blu-Ray, I always thought it could be for supporting a USB Mass Storage device such a hard drive or most likely a USB key since the port are in front.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:27 AM

This is an interesting thing that I didn't really think of before. The HD DVD player is basically a mini computer running Linux. Even if Toshiba doesn't write a firmware upgrade, if the HD DVD ship is close to sinking, Toshiba could open source the code, and have the Linux community get involved in the thing. I wonder if this could give a second life to HD DVD players, even if there are no studios exclusive to the format at some point in the future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post