HELP....Can HD DVD's be played on XBOX-360? - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 11:05 PM

Default HELP....Can HD DVD's be played on XBOX-360?

I am trying to figure out which player to purchase. So I need to ask as many questions as I can. I see HD DVD also has superior sound. I can't find info on Blue Ray's sound. How is Blue Ray's sound compared to HD DVD's? Should I wait for PS3? I need some help people. If you have some really good info for me just pm it to me.

Thanks.

Last edited by spaceace; 10-26-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:30 PM

Xbox 360 requires an external HD DVD player that is launching in November and will retail for $199.99.

Blu-ray and HD DVDs are capable of the exact same audio and video codecs, however HD DVD more often utilizes what some people claim are better video compression codecs and better audio formats.

The 20GB PS3 is the easiest and cheapest way to get HD playback and if you can preorder one (there is an opportunity this Sunday morning at Toys R Us) that is what I would recommend.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentokTheMindTaker View Post
Xbox 360 requires an external HD DVD player that is launching in November and will retail for $199.99.

Blu-ray and HD DVDs are capable of the exact same audio and video codecs, however HD DVD more often utilizes what some people claim are better video compression codecs and better audio formats.

The 20GB PS3 is the easiest and cheapest way to get HD playback and if you can preorder one (there is an opportunity this Sunday morning at Toys R Us) that is what I would recommend.
So you are staying neutral? I want to pick one format, get behind, and go. I plan on building a really nice home theater. I guess I could have both players. Will be expensive, though.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceace View Post
So you are staying neutral? I want to pick one format, get behind, and go. I plan on building a really nice home theater. I guess I could have both players. Will be expensive, though.
Well if you already own a 360, then the HD-DVD add-on would be my choice - given that it's not that much more compared to standalone players.

However, if you don't own a 360 - I would probably go for a PS3 tbh.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:04 AM

Quote:
I am trying to figure out which player to purchase. So I need to ask as many questions as I can. I see HD DVD also has superior sound. I can't find info on Blue Ray's sound. How is Blue Ray's sound compared to HD DVD's? Should I wait for PS3? I need some help people. If you have some really good info for me just pm it to me.

Thanks.
Sound on both formats is about the same...Sony's blu-ray titles actually contain uncompressed sound which has been constant good reviews, HD-DVD also has been having very good luck with their Dolby TrueHD soundtracks on a few of their movies.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:14 PM

hanks for the sound advice Tejstar & resevilfan86 very helful. I do not own a gaming system yet, but the Xbox 360 sure does look awesome.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:
hanks for the sound advice Tejstar & resevilfan86 very helful. I do not own a gaming system yet, but the Xbox 360 sure does look awesome.
Yeah, I just bought my first 360 (or rather, I hinted to my wife that I would like one for my birthday). The games are awesome, even though it is my wife who mostly plays since I am usually too busy. She is slowly working her way through Oblivion, probably the most graphically awesome RPG I have seen.

I have the HD-DVD add-on pre-ordered from game stop, shoud be getting it in a couple of weeks (It will compliment the A1 player I have in my den - I felt I should get one for the family room)
Old 10-29-2006, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
The games are awesome, even though it is my wife who mostly plays since I am usually too busy.
Lol - my wife is the same. XBLA gets more play than normal games in my household!
Old 12-09-2009, 03:03 PM

Wow. Are things that shaded on the outside looking in? Only mentioning strictly because everyone in here seems to be at least somewhat curious but I just happen to be USAF and can confirm all assumptions here are far off. Although I can not confirm anything compromising, I can confirm that...

[QUOTE=Godstar;1773490]Looks like not only is the government propping up Sony's console sales, they're using them for super computer clusters doing god knows what![QUOTE]

You know shit's bad when the US is buying non-US gaming consoles to defend the US. Why not 360's? They're the REAL SDF.

Very valid reason for this. I mean you almost dont have to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
Damn, I hope Al Qaeda doesn't hack our US leaderboards now.
Al Qaeda werent the purchasers here.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:25 PM

Seriously people - check dates before you reply.
Closed Thread