There IS A Way to Upscale Over Component - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-19-2008, 11:54 PM

Default There IS A Way to Upscale Over Component

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I've never seen this...

See my sig, I have 2 720p/1080i displays and a Toshiba HD-A2. Neither of my displays support HDMI for upscaling though. The only other way to upscale is over VGA, which my projector accepts, but I'd have to buy the add-on drive and hook it through one of my 360s, so it's too much trouble really. So I've had my player for a while now and haven't been able to reap the benefits of the upscaling capabilities of the A2...

I've been a console modder for some time and am used to hacking/updating systems to do things they weren't supposed to do. This got me thinking... I searched around for about 20 minutes to see if there were any hacks for the A2 and didn't really find anything other than people asking about region free SD-DVD hacks. Then I did find a few questions about upscaling over component and finally found a solution...

Unbelievable what it is too. Just simply use a DVD decrypting software to remove the protection and then create a copy of the movie. Pop it in your HD-DVD player and your golden. I seriously didn't believe it when I saw it, "wow, it's that simple?", so I popped in a backup of "Superbad" and hit the display button and sure enough it's outputting at 1080i.

I take no credit for this, I just merely found the info while searching and figured A LOT of people could benefit from this. Enjoy
Old 01-20-2008, 03:00 AM

I actually discovered this a while back when I put in a copy of V For Vendetta that I had made from when it first came out. Only problem with this is it's pointless. I'd rather just wait till I have a monitor with HDMI, and on my small monitor (23 inches) it doesn't matter too much anyway if I sit more than a foot from it. If I sit 5 or more feet from it, it looks fine.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:40 PM

I noticed this too by chance. But on the HDTV I have which doesn't have HDMI, I really couldn't notice the difference in PQ between the original in 480p and the single layer copy at 1080i.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:33 AM

Yup the very reason why you can't upscale is due to the copy protection.

As someone else said, I also have not noticed any difference between 480p or 720p or 1080i for SD DVD.

Wouldn't it just take longer to decode it, then it would to just pop it in the player and press play? It takes me an average of 10-15 mins, sometimes as long as a few hours depending on the DVD. You also have to get rather technical with the Sony DVDs', and some other ones as well. Just seems to be the Sony ones that have the most bothersome copy protection.

On a funny side note. Did anyone notice you can import a digital copy to itunes on Select FOX DVDS. Wow, I thought the whole reason they (FOX) went with Blu-Ray was for exactly the opposite reason.
Since we're kind of on the subject of copy protection; what ever happened to managed copies of HD-DVDs? This is one reason why I choose hd over blu.

Edit:

I noticed you have a petition to save HD-DVD. I was wondering is there any way all of you petitioners could pool your resources together.

Let's go to War with the Army we need; not the Army we have. This is how Wars are won.

Let's also not forget a personal favorite of mine.

The only way you win a war is by pulling the poor, sorry s.o.b. out of his fox hole and make him sign the peace treaty.

Not that I would call this a War or anything.

Last edited by Z22_Z33; 01-22-2008 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 PM

also noticed this tonight with some of my back-ups on the A30 my projector was passing them through 1080i thats also what the display on the player said as well. It was the quickest setup to play with the A30 so thats how i found out but with more time it will go to its permanent home under my lcd.